- Thermal motor
- Electric motor
- Cutting system
- Cutting height
- Evacuation and collection of grass
- Air cushion machines
- Rider machines
The range of mowing machines (mowers of different types and devices to pick up and transport cut grass) is very large, from mini-electric to large, self-propelled and self-propelled. The main differences lie in the operating mode of the engine (thermal or electrical), the cutting system, the transmission, the settings possible and the mode of collection.
This is the most often chosen solution. For machines of the same type, the mowers with thermal engine (explosion) are cheaper than the electric mowers. In addition, machines with a combustion engine have a greater autonomy.
They do not present the discomfort that is, for electrical machines, the power cable, nor autonomy necessarily limited battery mowers, they have almost completely disappeared, given their weight, their price and the need for periodic maintenance (recharging the battery, even outside periods of use). The engines that equip lawnmowers are two or four times.
• The two-stroke engine is probably the most noisy, but it is the only one that is suitable for sloping terrain: the mode of lubrication of moving parts allows to work from any angle, which is not the case with the four -time, where the bodies of the low engine (crankshaft and connecting rod) may no longer bathe in the crankcase oil when the machine is heavily inclined. The two-stroke engine assumes a feed with a mixture of gasoline and oil, the percentage of oil being set by the manufacturer.
• The four-stroke engine is adopted on a majority of models, especially on larger ones. The oil contained in a housing makes it possible to lubricate a part of the rotating members of the engine (connecting rod, crankshaft); worn after a certain number of hours of use (specified in the technical manual of the machine), it must be replaced regularly (emptying).
• The proper functioning of thermal engines depends on the quality of carburation and ignition. The air filter should be cleaned regularly to prevent dust from clogging the nozzles and entering the combustion chamber, where it would cause wear on the cylinder and piston rings (on a four stroke). The ignition is provided by a magnetic flywheel and a candle. This must be replaced periodically or, at the very least, cleaned when it shows signs of weakness. The magnetic flywheel must be protected from moisture. The launcher rope must be replaced as soon as it fray. The battery should often be recharged if the mower has an electric starter.
It is quieter than the engine and therefore more enjoyable for the user. It is very reliable and does not pose, of course, any startup problem.
The obligation to connect to a socket is not necessarily embarrassing, especially for small lawns. Check that the connection complies with the standards: the extension must be watertight and the machine must have double insulation (no earth connection).
• The rotating horizontal blade rotating horizontally in the crankcase, under the engine, is the most common system.
Advantages: it is a simple, reliable and easy-to-maintain system (the blade can be reground with a simple grinding drum), which makes it easier to pick up the grass at the same time as you mow.
Disadvantages: the blade shreds the blade of grass more than it slices it; if you want to mow very short, the blade tends to tear the plants of herbs.
• The cutting cylinder is a system known for a long time on hand mowers. These are helical blades, assembled to form a cylinder, rotating in a housing and cutting grass with a fixed counter-blade (chisel effect).
Advantages: this system allows a perfect cut and promotes the production of a grass and thick turf (lawn in English) that does not yellow before regrowth: it is the ideal lawn mower to maintain the greens.
Disadvantages: the mowing must be frequent, the ground must be perfectly flat, and the grass must be a real turf; it is impossible to sharpen the blades yourself, and the price of the machine is much higher than that of a conventional rotary blade mower. Finally, there are very few models of mowers of this type with a combustion engine in our regions.
It is important that the machine has several cutting heights to suit all situations. It is best if the control is unique for all four wheels and easy to maneuver (even with the bin in place).
Evacuation and collection of grass
The bag or grass collection tank is located either laterally (a rarity) or at the back (larger capacity). To mow tall grass, the tank can sometimes be replaced by a deflector that blows air laterally (rake).
Air cushion machines
Wheelless machines are very common in Britain. They are light, effective and allow to obtain a perfect cut. They are ideal for mowing inclined planes (electric motor or two-stroke).
This is a real small tractor. This kind of machine is very pleasant to use. Powerful, it is suitable for very large lawns (over 1000 m2).
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Equip yourself with home automation for a more connected garden
This may interest you