- Practical advice
- A work in finesse
- All the necessary
- Cut out the paper block
- Ask the slice
- Glue the leatherette
- Fold and press
- Cover the cardboard
- Prepare the assembly
- Connect the other side
As a full-fledged art dealer, binding is within the reach of anyone with simple techniques and easy-to-use materials.
To protect the work table from unintentional cutter cuts or overflowing glue, a thick cardboard chute will do the trick. Additional protection (newsprint for example) will help to lay down the materials being glued...
Another aspect not to neglect: the state of the material. The good condition of the blades of the scissors and the cutter is the guarantee of a clean and precise work.
The technique presented here (called "nesting") is the easiest way to connect a book. It implies that the booklet and the binding are made separately. And requires more delicacy than manual virtuosity.
● In our report, we chose to show the manufacturing steps of a small book of 50 x 82 x 12 mm. To achieve this, first cut a minibloc of 50 x 78 x 12 mm in a thickness of sheets (if possible with the paper cutter).
● Precisely cut out, the binding supplies are as follows: two 1mm thick cartons (50 x 82), imitation leather (52 x 105), two sheets of marbled paper (52 x 105), two sheets kraft paper (45 x 78 and 12 x 82).
● It is not difficult to predict bigger. It is then sufficient to follow the same principle of assembly and to preserve the proportions: the binding must be slightly larger than the object to be connected, taking into account - as here - the thickness of the edge of the block of paper.
● If supplies such as kraft, cardboard and glue are immutable, imitation leather and decorative paper can be replaced by other materials (fabric, plastic, felt, etc.). In the field of creative hobbies, specialized shops are full of ideas: there is a whole range of supplies with very rich motifs.
A work in finesse
The implementation of the binding is based on a gluing system that requires a precision watchmaker. It is recommended that you always check the location of each item. Accurate measurements and discrete (pencil) features guarantee the success of the sizing.
● Another essential point: the laying of the binding paper (kraft) between the two cardboard parts of the binding. Its placement depends on the balance, the holding and the aesthetics of the realization. The final placement of the paper block is just as delicate. The block should be exactly in the center of the binding, with two millimeters of peripheral edge.
● Precautions must be taken when choosing the glue. Wood glue is to be excluded because it is too hard to dry (the paper needs flexibility). We must opt for a special binding glue that can be found in the Beaux-Arts departments or creative hobbies of specialized stores (Rougier and Plé, Graphigro, Créa...). It may be possible to use the fabric glue.
● Bubbles may form during sizing, especially with thin paper. Then just use a cloth to gently crush the freshly glued surface and chase unwanted.
All the necessary
Scissors, cutter, square and ruler for tools. Leatherette, marbled paper, cardboard (1 mm), craft paper, vinyl glue and paper pad for supplies.
Cut out the paper block
To make this little book, cut out the block of paper using a ruler and a cutter (if thicker, use a paper cutter). Prepare the other supplies to the desired dimensions.
Ask the slice
Paste the kraft paper thoroughly and lay the slice of the paper block in the center. Press firmly and smooth with the thumb the slice then the rest of the surface.
Glue the leatherette
Paste the leatherette over its entire surface, as well as the sheet of craft paper. Markers previously drawn allow to position the two cartons at equal distance.
Fold and press
Fold over the two excess leatherette (11 mm) making sure to follow the edge of the cardboard. Press firmly: leatherette is a material that promotes bubbles.
Cover the cardboard
Paste the two pieces cut out of marbled paper without excess. Cover the cardboard by overlapping the imitation leather on 2 mm. Cut the corners and fold the sides.
Prepare the assembly
Prepare the assembly by centering the block of sheets well. The first page is glued (white glue) and placed on the cardboard part of the cover. Press firmly.
Connect the other side
Proceed in the same way for the other side of the notebook, while making sure, as previously to observe a reserve of 2 mm. Put the book down flat. Let dry about 1 hour.