The charm of real Japanese panels is not to be underlined. Everyone knows how much they can participate in the decoration of an interior, in front of a window (where they replace curtains and double curtains) or in part separation. There are now "kits" that will allow you to mount them in a minimum of time, even if you are a beginner handyman.
- Wood wedges
- Universal glue
1. Japanese panels are made of wooden frames, often stretched with rice paper, sliding between wooden profiles on the floor and ceiling. Several panels may be arranged on the same groove, as long as it will allow them to slide sufficiently. The system presented here is based on the use of high and low sticks, grooved to receive three sets of panels. These sticks are not carrying: they do not need to be fixed very securely. But they must not move.
2. Each panel is composed of two external uprights bearing a series of mortises to receive the high and low sleepers, and the intermediate sleepers (six in number). These are cut in the middle to allow the passage of the central amount. Arrange the set on the floor to identify the place of the different rooms.
3. The adjustment of the parts between them is impeccable and does not even require gluing. Fit them by hitting lightly with a hammer. Interpose a wooden board or plywood to avoid marking the wood.
4. The panels are strung with rice paper or cloth. A simple collage is enough. Use universal glue that you will spread with a small brush. Start at the top rail.
5. With the two grooved strips in place, and the panels prepared, put them in place. The grooves of the high rod are deep enough to allow the panel to fit.
6. Japanese panels are good for "dressing" a bay. But they must slide enough to allow access to the window. Notice the use made here of a board that is not stretched with paper.
(photos / visuals: © DIY-Prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- How to install curtains sliding panels?
- Horizontal slat blind
- How to install a blind with vertical slats?
- Coat window seals
This may interest you