This set of storage is composed of independent boxes, easy to move, that you can arrange according to your tastes and your needs. Among the boxes, two have doors, two leave their shelves exposed, and the last is a drawer unit. All these elements are built according to the same method: they are boards of plywood assembled, glued and nailed on edge, with or without grooving (according to your equipment).
- Nail set
- Wood chisel
- sanding block
- Abrasive paper
- Lacquer stamp
- Circular saw
- Paint roller
- Glued-nailed assembly
- Grooved assembly
- Finishing the storage unit
1. Assemble the four sides of the trunk box by gluing them on edge.
2. Nail the four sides of each chest to finish and reinforce the assembly.
3. Once all four sides are assembled, glue the back edges and attach the bottom.
4. For greater strength, the bottom assembly is also reinforced with nails. Hunt the head of the nails.
5. Then fill the holes with wood paste to obtain a perfect surface for subsequent coating and painting.
6. Sand all. You can use a sander, connected to a vacuum cleaner, but a sanding block and sandpaper will also do the trick.
7. Pass an impregnating layer or a coat of filler. Let dry before painting (at least two layers).
8. If you have a table saw, you can assemble the box elements more securely by grooving. You will need to precisely adjust the cutting guide before making the grooves. Demonstration is done here on a drawer (always more stressed than the boxes).
9. Two passes will be required to groove both sides and the back of the drawer. The width of the groove corresponds to the thickness of the plywood.
10. To prepare the sides for assembly, it is necessary to determine the dimensions of the notch to be made. Locate the middle of the width.
11. Draw a line parallel to the short side. The width of the notch corresponds to the thickness of the plywood that serves as a template.
12. The assembly is done mid-wood end. The two sides are notched on the opposite side of the groove and the back and the fourth side on the symmetrical part.
13. Carefully rub the chants of the cut.
14. The assembly will provide better strength if reinforced with nails. Start by assembling the back and the two sides perpendicular to it.
15. Put the bottom of the drawer in the grooves prepared for this purpose.
16. Finally, fix the last side. Thus, the bottom and the four sides are entirely solid, and the assembly will be all the more solid.
17. The front of the drawer is reported. Draw on the front of the drawer profile previously made, and make a good gluing.
18. Put the drawer on its front.
19. The assembly is also glued and nailed from the inside.
Finishing the storage unit
20. You can now resume your painting work, the impregnation layer or the filler is dry.
21. Locate the inside of the sides for the location of the shelves.
22. Drill, without crossing, to embed the violin keys.
23. The doors are fixed by piano hinges.
24. Locate and locate the magnetic catch that will close. Put shelves in place after painting.
25. Here is the finished cabinet. You can fix the knobs.
(photos / visuals: © Diy-prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Create a toy box in the shape of a London bus
- How to make a storage cabinet?
- How to make a wall unit?
This may interest you