The Content Of The Article:

Owner / tenant relationships can quickly escalate when it comes to paying the bill, especially when it comes to plumbing. So here are some things to avoid conflict and know your rights.

Plumbing problem: the way forward

The tenant has the obligation, even in case of urgency and even if it is not on the spot, to contact his owner to inform him of the problem. The lessor can then select the intervener of his choice and bring in a plumber of his acquaintance, practicing prices that suit him. If the tenant chooses to do work without his agreement, he may then have to pay them. If it is not possible to reach the owner by telephone, you must send a registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt specifying the urgency and the time of intervention.

The obligations of the tenant

It must be known that all plumbing work are not the responsibility of the owner. Thus, the tenant has an obligation of maintenance of the plumbing elements (tap, siphon, cleaning...) and to maintain the boiler once a year. If a seal is to change for example, the plumber's intervention is his responsibility, if there are water leaks because he let the situation deteriorate, he is also responsible. Same thing if the problem comes from misuse or degradation by the tenant, a problem of blocked piping is therefore supported by the tenant if it is he who obstructed it.

The obligations of the owner

To know who pays the intervention of a plumber, it is necessary to refer to the legislation which is very clear on the obligations of the owner concerning the taking charge of the works ( n° 89-462 of July 6th, 1989). It is up to him to pay the bill if the intervention of a plumber is due to a problem of obsolescence, wear installations whose origin is not bad maintenance or use on the part of the tenant (a replacement of water heater for example). It is also the owner to take care of the damage if it is a construction fault or a case of force majeure as a natural disaster (flood, earthquake...).

What to do in case of conflict?

As often in case of a dispute, the amicable agreement is the best solution, the fastest and also the cheapest. If the landlord believes that plumbing repairs are the responsibility of the tenant, he or she may retain all or part of the security deposit by presenting supporting documents. If the sum is greater than this amount, he can go to court to claim the difference, or damages if the absence of work has led to further damage.

On the tenant side, in case of conflict, it is important not to stop paying the rent, it would be to put yourself in violation, it is better to follow the legal procedure by contacting a mediator if necessary.

Learn more about:

  • Piping and corrosion problem
  • Finding a leak in pipes

Video Instruction: 97% Owned - Economic Truth documentary - How is Money Created