- Practical advice
- What paint for a cement floor?
- Prepare the surface to paint
- Treat grease stains
- Spread neutralizing shampoo
- Open the cracks
- Clog cracks
- Smooth the cracks
- Level the irregularities of the soil
- Paint the floor
- Let the paint dry
Easy to apply and very resistant, floor paints require little maintenance. For a terrace or garage, they bring an undeniable finishing touch and make the floor much more pleasant to maintain.
If cracking is necessary during preparation, it is best to wait at least two to three days before drying. The ideal is to prepare the site a weekend and apply the painting the following week.
If the room has only one entry:
Begin by painting the bottom and progress back to the exit.
For roller painting, work in small areas, covering parallel strips that overlap slightly with each pass.
At the second layer, proceed by applying the parallel strips in the other direction to cross the passes of the two layers.
In the case of a single access concrete staircase, paint only one out of two if it is necessary to keep the use during the work.
What paint for a cement floor?
True dust nests, cement floors promote the encrustation of grease and mud stains. The application of a specific painting (Astral, Dulux Valentine, Julien, Syntilor, V33...) stops the phenomenon. It leaves a washable surface that does not fear the repeated passages of a car.
● "Special floor" paints exist in ready-to-use or two-component formulations. Depending on the manufacture, they are loaded with alkyd-urethane, polyurethane or acrylic resins and are diluted with a petroleum solvent (white spirit) or simply with water. To treat a patio, use a paint designed for outdoor use.
Prepare the surface to paint
To ensure the adhesion of the paint, the substrate must be as clean as possible and above all well dry. Also, clean it thoroughly with a conventional detergent. Once dry, if it shows grease stains as sometimes happens, rub them one by one with thinner.
● Supplement the preparation by applying a special shampoo or a mixture of the same kind (1 liter of hydrochloric acid in 10 liters of water). On new soil, acid removes the "laitance" of cement. On the old, it unclogs the dirt deep.
● If the painting enhances the floor, it can not serve as a misery cover. Open large cracks with a sharp chisel (chisel) and then cover them with a repair mortar ready for tempering or a cement with a fixing resin (Sikalatex, for example).
● The smoothing of the cement surface is not always perfect and sometimes there are reliefs and small irregularities. These slight defects may disappear after simple sanding (coarse abrasive discs). Again, the intervention must be followed by a good vacuum to remove the dust.
Before proceeding to the finishing coat, carefully read the manufacturer's instructions.
Generally, it is necessary to add a little solvent (water or white spirit according to the composition indicated on the pot) to dilute the paint necessary for the first coat. Provide a container for this mixture and stir for two to three minutes to make the liquid homogeneous.
● The application can be done with a flat brush or with a medium-long hair roller. For a large surface, it is better to mount the roller at the end of a telescopic handle. Depending on the nature of the paint, the time between two coats may vary, but in all cases a minimum ambient temperature is recommended (15° C).
Treat grease stains
- To treat grease stains, dab with a cloth soaked in a solvent (such as acetone) and scrub.
- Wear gloves, a protective mask and ventilate the room.
Spread neutralizing shampoo
- Pour the neutralizing shampoo into the water to limit acid splashes.
- Spread the mixture on the ground, by puddles, and rub until the bubbling disappears.
Open the cracks
- Open large cracks in the chisel to 1 cm deep.
- Follow the fracture line of the tip of the chisel then clear the slot with the wire brush.
- Vacuum the dust and moisten the slit with a sponge.
- Recoil with a repair mortar or cement with added resin.
- Press on the tool to penetrate.
Smooth the cracks
- Smooth the entire length of the cracks with the spatula or the back of a cat tongue trowel.
- Finish by smoothing again with a damp sponge, frequently rinsed.
Level the irregularities of the soil
- When everything is dry, observe the ground for any irregularities.
- Here, old traces of cement form a slight relief.
- Level with a coarse abrasive disc.
Paint the floor
- Start by painting with a flat brush a strip of 10 cm wide around the room.
- Continue on a medium-long pile, progressing in small areas, in parallel strips.
Let the paint dry
- Check the pot for the waiting time between two coats (from 3 to 48 hours depending on the mark).
- Count 2 days before using the room and 3 or 4 days before driving your car.