- Necessary material
- The choice of renovation
- A clean and dry floor
- A wide range of paintings
- The preparation
- Application of the main color
- Laying other colors
- Handyman's Tips
For the storage room to become storeroom, it must be equipped with storage, illuminate, paint. Final touch: paint his floor with vibrant colors.
- Cement Floor Paint in Tennis Green and Clay (Tollens-Lidoll), Garden Green, Almond Green, Light Blue and White (Syntilor)
- Paint trays (provide as many as colors)
- Spalter or "special floor" roll with a long handle (as many colors as possible)
- Brush to rechampir
- Masking adhesive
- White spirit (for solvent-based paints)
Since moving in, nothing has moved in this part of the basement still cluttered with a lot of junk. Walls covered with cardboard gypsum board and raw cement floor look rather gray. For a storage room, it is without consequence. But if you want to make a cellar, a renovation is required.
The choice of renovation
- Economical and resistant, the paint will do the trick to wake up this place. Walls and stairs are painted soberly, the first in white for light and the second in ocher, coordinated with the stripe.
- As for the soil, it is almost like a carpet. The choice of scratches on the cement produces a dynamic and cheerful perspective. Beautiful effect consisting of three shades of green associated with a light blue and punctuated with a hue clay / ocher. The bands are interspersed punctually with a white net. Thus, the oppositions are frank and well paced.
- Available in several colors and loaded with resins that harden on drying, cement floor paints are easy to maintain. Their decorative appearance doubles as an effective protection against stains and wear.
A clean and dry floor
- The floor must be perfectly dry (wait about two months before painting new cement).
- The scales of ancient paintings must be removed, the surface roughness scratched and traces of oil or grease cleaned by application of Sommières or trichlorethylene.
- The preparation continues with a neat sweep and the passage of the vacuum cleaner.
A wide range of paintings
- Many manufacturers offer floor paints in a wide variety of colors (Cimentol, Ripolin, Syntilor, Tollens, V33, Watco, Zolpan...).
- Solvent-based (dilution with white-spirit), or in aqueous phase (water-based) with a short recovery time, cement floor paints are generally available in three aspects: matt, satin or lacquered.
- On the perfectly dusted cement floor, wet mop.
- Allow to dry overnight before starting painting.
- To promote the attachment of the first layer, dilute the solvent-based paint by adding 5 to 10% of white spirit.
- Pour the required amount of paint into the tray.
Application of the main color
- Apply spalter paint (kneeling work) or "special floor" roller.
- In both cases, load the tool well and cross the passes (especially the first layer).
- Pass two layers (spaced twelve hours apart) from the background color (here Green Tennis).
- Apply the masking tapes according to the layout (make sure they adhere).
Laying other colors
- Work simultaneously with several bands and identify the colors that cover the initial dark green base.
- Respect drying times between layers.
- Do not over load the roll on the masking tape: wring the roll in the tray.
- Make several horse crossings on the strip of paper and the area to be painted.
- Apply a single layer of light shade to mask the first dark layer (these paints have a high hiding power).
- Cross the passes.
- On areas with reliefs, replace the roller with a rechampir brush.
- Load it moderately and tap vertically to fill the hollows.
- There is no need to wait for the paint to dry: as soon as the last coat is applied, remove the masking tape.
- Distribute the colored bands by identifying their position: make a colored sketch, or even better, a computer layout with a color printer output.
- Identify hues by wearing them in pencil on the strips of adhesive.
- To paint the edge of the masking tape, use the vertical brush.
- Wait 72 hours before driving on the floor painted with heavy loads (car, for example).