Solid wood, which has become expensive, is often replaced by veneers. Panels are made by covering plywood or particle board with thin decorative wood sheets: elm, beech, walnut, cherry, larch, ash, oak, mahogany... The decorative veneer covers the panel on its "facing" side. The inner side is plated with a more ordinary sheet of wood, having the same qualities of resistance to tension. The decorative panels presented here are plywood covered with Rio rosewood (2.50 m high, 60 cm wide, 6 mm thick).
- Bubble level
- Glue gun
- Realization of an angle
1. The installation of these panels poses no problem, even on an irregular support or in bad condition: this saves the work, often tedious, of renovation. Trace on the wall the location of the horizontal cleats, on which the veneer panels will be nailed. These panels measure 2.50 m high, it takes five cleats to fix them, arranged every 50 cm. Use a bubble level to draw a horizontal line each time.
2. Mark the location of the cleats on all walls to be clad; stick them one by one. Use preferably a gun, loaded with a glue with high adhesiveness: it alone ensures the fixing of the cleats on the wall.
3. When all cleats are laid, set up the first clad panel. Nail it on the cleats with small points, arranged on the tongue. Fix the tips with light hammer strokes, because the tongue is very fragile. The panels are assembled by tongue and groove. It is possible to staple the panels, always on the tongue.
Realization of an angle
4. If the support is in good condition, it is not necessary to attach cleats, the work is simplified: stick the clad panels directly on the wall. Making an angle is tricky if the wall is not straight. To cut the panel according to the shape of the wall, use the method of the "dragged compass". Place the compass at the top of the wall, at the desired distance, the part provided with a pencil placed on the veneer. Then let down the compass down: the plot obtained is that of the party to eliminate for the panel to adapt to the wall. Cut with a handsaw.
5. Stick the back of the panel. Always using the gun, spread the glue on all the perimeter of the panel, and on its two diagonals: this gluing is enough to ensure the fixation of the panels.
6. Install the first panel on the return wall as described above. It is sometimes necessary to get a flawless angle, remove the tab of the panel. Repeat the "dragged compass" operation to determine the outline of the cut.
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Install PVC paneling
- Laying laminated panels on the wall
- Wall panel wall paneling g
- Wood paneling
- How to install wood paneling on EPS insulation (expanded polystyrene)?
This may interest you