The Content Of The Article:

The wall of our room at the head of the bed being cold, we were advised by a friend who asked us 5 years ago a chipboard partition with an aluminum insulation between the wall and this partition. For some time I have noticed a musty smell on one side of the wall. I suppose that moisture has infiltrated by capillarity. It seems to me that the choice of the agglo was not very good. But what can I do now? Do I have everything removed and redo the wall or can I just make a few holes to perform a ventilation? I speak from the inside because for the outside I guess I should treat the wall but it will not solve the problem of the musty smell...

Obviously, your friend did not advise you well... Thin "insulators" are not made for this configuration. At most, they can be used as additional insulation for under-roofing, in combination with a real fibrous insulation. the humidity that causes this "musty" smell is certainly due to the condensation accumulated between the aluminum coating and the panel. If this is the case, you must remove everything, let it dry and then proceed to a conventional insulated insulation from the inside.
It is possible, also, that the wall is affected by capillary rises, or rarer, that the facade is porous and allows rainwater to pass (this happens on façades exposed to the west in rainy regions). In your configuration, the thin, waterproof insulation has been a barrier that has blocked the moisture from the wall resulting in moisture retention that causes the musty smell.
- If the wall is affected by capillary rise, it is necessary to treat the cause, namely to block the capillary rise by injections of resins in the lower part of the wall or by periheric drainage of the house.
- If the facade is porous, it is necessary to implement a facade waterproofing coating. Attention nevertheless: this last treatment can be applied only in the total absence of capillary rise, otherwise, the cure will be worse than the evil, the soil moisture not being able to escape by the outside of the wall.
In both cases, the chipboard partition must be removed to allow the wall to dry. Once the wall is dry (allow at least 6 months), a new partition on framing, without direct contact with the wall, and equipped with high and low ventilation, may be asked.

On the same topic

  • Questions answers
    • How do you know if an insulation is damaged by an infiltration?
    • How to fix an outer bulkhead?
  • DIY tips
    • Wall moisture problems: adapted treatments
    • Wet walls: treatments

This may interest you

Video Instruction: Journey to the Center of the Earth By Jules Verne - Full Audiobook (with captions)