- Practical tips for successfully connecting your washing machine
- Avoid floods
- The evacuation
- The power of the washing machine
- The connection of a washing machine: all the steps
- Cut the drain pipe of a washing machine
- Offset the washing machine supply connection
- Clean the hose
- Lay the collars on the evacuation
- Nest the pieces
- Place the water tap of a washing machine
- Lay the grounding of a washing machine
- Install the machine and its flexible
Preparing the installation of a washing machine or dishwasher is a classic plumbing operation, easily achievable by bypass. Provided you observe a minimum of method and precision.
Practical tips for successfully connecting your washing machine
To limit the vibrations of a washing machine, place it on an insulating plate (cork or a square of thick carpet).
Check its horizontality at the bubble level and adjust the feet accordingly.
The effectiveness of the washing powders is directly related to the limestone content of the water. It is improved by installing a polyphosphate crystal treatment cartridge between the stopcock and the connection hose. This also reduces powder consumption and keeps the machine from scaling.
Accidental floods caused by a washing machine are rarely done by the appliance, especially if it is new. Most often, it is the drain, hung on the edge of the sink or tub, that moves or the pipe that blows back. Self-draining faucets, sometimes used for water supply, can also cause small, but regular leaks.
In order to properly evacuate the water from the tank, a washing machine, for example, must have a pipe with a minimum internal diameter of 32 mm, extended by a vertical water barrier of 60 cm. A siphon equipped with a cap is useful for maintenance.
Full PVC connection kits are available commercially. For a particular installation, sleeves, fittings, siphon and tubes are also available individually. The tools and the necessary products come down to a fine-toothed saw, sandpaper and a specific glue tube. Note that there are special fittings for connecting a PVC pipe to an existing pipe made of another material.
The power of the washing machine
Recent machines consume little water. A supply hose of Ø 10 mm may be sufficient but a diameter of 12 mm is preferable. The connection is made from a bypass tee, installed on the existing pipe. Sealing is ensured by screw-in fittings with an American joint, and the tap is connected by means of a base to be screwed into the wall. It can be directly mounted at the top of the pipe.
For both the supply and the evacuation, the only difficulty of the installation concerns the cutting of the existing pipes to the correct length. To determine the latter, place the fitting against the pipe and locate the width of the two threads (or two interlocking grooves). Saw at right angles between the inner lines.
The connection of a washing machine: all the steps
The washing machine is connected to a standard 16 A (2P + T) socket. The latest version of the current NFC 15-100 standard specifies that this line (with three 2.5 mm2 conductors) must be independent of other circuits in the home.
The circuit must be protected at the top by a high sensitivity differential device. This protection can be supplemented by a delayed start system if the device does not have one, and if you benefit from the off-peak tariff. The connection of the machine does not pose any problem, but the assembly of the line upstream can present unforeseen difficulties...
Cut the drain pipe of a washing machine
- Mark the cutting lines on the drain pipe according to the length of the fitting.
- Sawing vertically: at the end of the cut, release the pipe from its necklaces in order to gain some play.
Offset the washing machine supply connection
- The power connection is shifted 15 cm.
- Spread the pipe from the wall with shims.
- If it is difficult to saw from the outside to the wall, turn the blade over to point the teeth inward.
Clean the hose
- Deburr the cut and chamfer, with sandpaper or steel wool, the end of the copper pipe.
- Dust off before fitting the fitting, without making any mistake in the order of the joints.
Lay the collars on the evacuation
- For evacuation, proceed to dry placement to identify the location of the collars and the orientation of the fittings with a dash of felt.
- Lay the collars before assembling.
Nest the pieces
- Sand the male and female parts of the parts in contact to seal the connections.
- Dust off, glue regularly then fit the pieces without turning by aligning the marks.
Place the water tap of a washing machine
- The stopcock is placed vertically from the bypass tee, 20 cm above the outlet of the drain.
- First put the collars and its base then mount the head and the pipe.
Lay the grounding of a washing machine
- The washing machine must be protected by a connection to the ground.
- In any case, its copper supply tube can not be used as grounding.
- Install a 16 A plug (2P + T).
Install the machine and its flexible
- With the unit in place, thread the drain hose into the corresponding hose and gently tighten the hose connection.
- Test by setting on a rinse to test the operation.