Thick layer of mortar a few centimeters, a screed is casting on a concrete slab to provide a stable and smooth support for laying tiles.
Warning! the mortar being a heavy material, make sure the floor is able to support the weight of the screed.
Particular cases, underfloor heating systems: they include heating frames according to various processes enacted by the standards concerning the power supply, the insulation. The drying times of the screed may in particular be lengthened.
But we are talking here only about a single screed, "pulled" on an existing slab, to put a coating such as tiling.
- Bubble level
- Plank of wood
- Bastaings well trained
- Cement and sand or mortar
- Place bastaings, spread mortar
- Remove the bastaings and let the screed dry
Place bastaings, spread mortar
1. For make a screed, first determine the level of the finished screed based on the floor of the next room. Take into account the thickness of the tiles to be laid so that the two coatings are on the same plane. Set the level of battens stalling them with mortar pads. Place a bubble level on a long straight wooden ruler to avoid the risk of error. Two parallel bastaings of the same level are enough for a small room. When working alone, do not remove them by more than 1 or 2 m.
2. The screed must adhere firmly to the existing floor. Wet the entire surface of the slab thoroughly and sprinkle it with cement after having dusted it well. Spread the mixture on the floor using an old broom. Calculate the quantity of mortar required depending on the surface of the room and the thickness of the screed (about 5 cm).
3. Strike the mortar on a clean surface. Make sure that the mixture does not become too liquid: it would be difficult to work.
Spread the mortar over the entire width of the room. Use a board with perfectly straight edges as a mason's rule to sink (or "pull") the screed by sliding it over the bastaings and thus scrape the excess concrete.
4. With a trowel, reload the troughs and re-erect with the ruler. There must be no gaps in the walls. Continue spreading the mortar over the entire surface.
Important: The screed must be erected at one time.
Equalize with the trowel to obtain a flat cap. With a trowel smooth perform the surface finish.
Remove the bastaings and let the screed dry
5. The mortar begins to take two to three hours later. You can then remove the bastaings. To avoid stepping on the cool screed, use thick and wide planks, particle boards or walk in the furrows of the bastaings.
6. With a trowel, refill the furrows with the mortar. With the trowel and trowel smooth the screed. Proceed backwards to finish near the door. For the screed to dry, it takes about 1 week per centimeter of mortar thickness. The room must be well ventilated during this period. If it is very hot, water the screed every 48 hours or cover the surface with a plastic sheet to prevent the mortar drying too quickly.
On the same topic
- Questions answers
- Concrete in 5 questions about the difference between a slab and a screed
- How to insulate a tiled floor against the cold
- How to raise a concrete slab by 5 cm?
- How to make up a difference in level in a room?
- How to isolate a soil ready to tile?
- How can we cover a pebbled floor?
- How to upgrade a concrete slab?
- Should a polyane film always be used when pouring a concrete slab?
- How to glue slabs of shale to the wall and the floor?
- How to make a screed on a concrete support?
- How to choose the direction of laying a tile?
- What is "stone carpet"?
- How to improve the flatness and finish of a concrete floor?
- How to lay a tile on a roof terrace?
- Tile glue problem for an anhydrite screed on electric radiant floor.
- What kind of screed for a garage?
- Is it necessary to use a traditional screed or a dry screed to polish a tile?
- Definition of a slab and a slab
- DIY tips
- Use decorative concrete for driveways or patios
- Laying a tiling by double gluing
- 3 techniques for making a concrete slab
- Tiles and natural stones
- Pouring a cement screed on an old floor
- How to make earthworks and foundations?
- Mixing mortar on the floor
- Mixing mortar: preparing the sand
- Make a concrete slab and a mortar screed
- Sandstone tile on cement-glue
- Slabs of shale on mortar
- Cutting and preparation of tiles
- How to make a coating of cement mortar?
- Floor cleaning and patching
- DIY videos
- Tiling of the floor: preparation of the support
- Height of the "water guard"?
This may interest you