- Techniques for cleaning cloth hats and straw hats
- Tips for cleaning felt, fur and velvet hats
Whether it is straw, felt, fabric or fur, the hat can be cleaned quite easily. Cleaning is an essential step to keep this accessory in good condition. You just have to use the right products on each material to avoid altering the hat instead of giving it a second youth.
Techniques for cleaning cloth hats and straw hats
To clean a cloth hat, you must:
- Add a drop ofammonia in soapy water;
- Rub the inside and outside of the hat with a damp sponge of this solution;
- Rinse by wiping the hat with a damp cloth;
- Dry by wiping with a dry, clean washcloth.
The dry cloth hat can also be cleaned by spraying the inside and outside with dry shampoo. We rub it all with a soft brush.
To clean a straw hat, you must:
- Rub the hat with half a lemon;
- Leave on for a few minutes before rinsing with a brush moistened with warm water.
A very dirty straw hat is cleaned with a mixture of lukewarm water (a glass) and hydrogen peroxide (3 tablespoons). Then rinse with a damp sponge.
To remove a trace of mold on a straw hat, it is cleaned with water added with ammonia.
Tips for cleaning felt, fur and velvet hats
To clean a felt hat, you must:
- Stuff the hat with white paper;
- Hold the hat over the boiling water vapor;
- Brush in the direction of the hair.
You do not need to stuff the hat with newspaper that may dye on the felt.
To clean a fur hat, you must:
- Stuff the paper hat;
- Rub with a cloth soaked inturpentine;
- Rinse with a damp cloth;
- Finish by wiping the hat with a clean, dry towel.
To remove unpleasant odors and pests, dust the fur hat baking soda. Let it work overnight, then brush.
To clean a velvet hat, you must:
- Brush the hat counter-clockwise using a clothes brush.
A brush stroke is usually enough to clean the velvet hat. However, if it is very dirty, it can be cleaned with a cloth moistened with water and ammonia. Then rinse with a damp cloth, then dry with a soft dry cloth.
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- How to maintain the laundry with Marseille soap?
- How to clean lace without damaging it?
- Practical tips to organize your dressing room
- How to clean leather shoes?
- How to clean your coat: practical tips
- How to clean leather or canvas sneakers?
- How to properly clean suede clothes?
- How to wash and detach woolen clothes?
- How to clean the leather: 4 effective tips
This may interest you