- Why choose natural products against house insects?
- What attracts insects in the house
- Insects of the house: natural prevention methods
- Treat naturally against house insects
When faced with an invasion of harmful insects in one's home, one is faced with the choice of repellents and insecticides to get rid of them. The natural alternative seduces more and more since it protects the man while respecting his environment. Update on all effective methods of prevention and natural treatments to fight insects from home.
Why choose natural products against house insects?
A myriad of chemicals exist to keep away or eliminate harmful insects from home. But in recent years, due to an ecological awareness, more economical and more natural remedies have appeared. We discover or rediscover that organic products make it possible to protect the man and his habitat while respecting the environment. Their strengths are to be:
- easy to find and use,
- often already available in all kitchens or closets.
Pests are a plague and some of them can even spread serious diseases or trigger violent allergies. The man must be able, even with these natural products, to protect himself against these insects or to repel them effectively when they are introduced in his habitat. And in most cases, by following a number of tips, these methods of prevention and treatment prove effective.
What attracts insects in the house
Most flying insects (such as mites) or creepers that make homes in homes do so during the winter season. The rest of the year they can grow in nature. But why do some houses attract more than others these pests? Simply because they bring together the 3 conditions favoring the development of pests.
- TemperatureWhile the outside gets colder as you enter the winter, the interiors of the houses heat up thanks to the radiators. Although many of these insects are able to hibernate for the cold season, they are attracted by the warmth of human homes.
- humidityThis is another factor common to most flying and crawling insects in the home. If the humidity level is too high, these pests will then find ideal conditions to develop.
- darkness: many insects are lucifuges, that is to say that they are fleeing the light and thus seek obscure corners, little frequented. Uninhabited rooms, cellars, attics, storage areas... are thus among the favorite places of these insects and should be the object of increased vigilance.
Every pest, whether crawling or flying, has its favorite piece in a house.
- Woodlice, silver fish, ants, wood bugs, food moths... consider the cooked as the most interesting place in a house, simply because it contains food residue. Being sure to store food safely is already a step towards prevention.
- Bed bugs feed on human blood. That's why bedrooms are his favorite areas, and more specifically bedding.
- Finally, clothing mites feed on the natural fibers with which clothes are made. The closets and the places of storage of fabrics, fur, wool attract them particularly.
Insects of the house: natural prevention methods
Natural prevention aims to repel harmful insects trying to break into houses. For this, natural repellents can be prepared, but also common sense gestures in everyday life.
Several repellents are available or to make oneself. They will have to be adapted to each type of insect, but it is always interesting to have them at home, at hand!
- The essential oils can be of great help in composing an effective repellent. Depending on the recipe chosen, just drop a few drops on a diffuser in the rooms most prone to invasions or in a cup to place in the kitchen cupboards. Here are the ones you are advised to have at home:
- bourbon geranium,
- pepper mint,
- The food and household products with repellent effect are ingredients, spices, fruits that are already at home and whose odoriferous properties can be an excellent repellent. Here are some examples:
- the vinegar (mix with a little water and spray on the infested areas),
- the Cayenne pepper where the pepper: both spices strong enough, they can repel insects to approach,
- the clove,
- thefresh onion,
- the lemon,
- the coffee grounds,
- the baking soda: powerful insecticide involved in several recipes
- the silica beads: their ability to absorb moisture allows, in often wet areas, to reduce the presence of water.
Good to know : many insects do not like strong odors; this is why these natural products are often very fragrant. But be careful not to use any of them: the essential oil of coriander, for example, attracts insects instead of moving them away!
An absolute rule in the use of all these ingredients! Renew them very regularly because their power diminishes.
Good preventive actions
In the face of insects, there are also some things to do to avoid attracting them to the house:
- Do not overheat the accommodation during the winter season.
- Air every day, summer and winter, the house.
- To control the humidity that reigns in the house.
- Fill any crevices in the house that could be used as nest for insects.
- Store the food tightly.
- Do not leave any food residue (crumbs, food waste, dirty dishes in the sink...) and regularly clean the work surfaces of the kitchen in contact with food.
- Do not leave in the open air fruits and vegetables that can ripen quickly. Privilege a package in the bottom of the refrigerator.
- Clean the entire house regularly, especially using the vacuum cleaner to suck the dust and all residues.
Treat naturally against house insects
Even if the first principle of a natural approach is to try to keep the harmful insects away so as not to have to eliminate them, some cases of massive invasion require more radical intervention. Among these measures to get rid of intruders for good, we can find the following methods, always to adapt according to the type of insect:
- The traps with bait: to stop crawling insect invasions in particular, it is possible to deposit baits on their way (especially effective for ants). Insects attracted by an odorous glue will remain trapped and die.
- The black soap diluted in water causes asphyxiation of insects.
- The Diatomaceous earth: sprayed on the insects and the areas concerned, it clogs the insects because of its dehydrating power and attacks their digestive tract and their carapaces because of its sharp particles of silica.
- The pyrethrum is a cousin plant of daisy whose leaves contain a substance capable of paralyzing insects.
In summer, it is the insects of the garden that invite themselves near the houses. Also learn to remove them and eliminate them if they become too invasive, thanks to our dedicated page: Treatments and natural insecticides against garden insects.