Burglars often manage to force a door by lifting it up and down with a crowbar. They succeed in the "disengage". Simple but effective accessories prevent this kind of risk. They usually go hand in hand with a three or five point locking system. Note that some old doors, mounted with hinges, do not need it since they are "ungovernable".
- Wood chisel
1. The hinge protectors consist of two elements, one male, the other female. Two doors must be placed per door, preferably near the hinges. The male element is a kind of plate bearing two studs. The female element, also in the form of a plate, has two cells. The male element is placed indifferently door side or door side; some manufacturers advocate the second solution. Put the element in place in the rabbet of the frame frame and trace its outline.
2. The protection must not hinder the closing of the door by its thickness. Nick the doorframe frame so as to "drown" the metal plate in the wood. Use a sharp wood chisel to mark the edges of the cut and dig.
3. Check that the metal plate is flush with the level of the wood, then screw it securely. Then close the door to mark on its song the location of the studs.
Alternative procedure for determining the location of the female element
4. It is possible to do otherwise to determine the location of the female element: a taking of dimensions makes it possible to locate the location of the second plate. Indeed, the distance separating the bottom of the rabbet (the doorframe frame) of the plate must be equal to the space between the inner edge of the door and the female plate.
5. As for the male element, trace the location of the plate. Cut the wood so that the plate can be recessed. Drill perpendicular to the edge using a helical drill bit mounted on a crankshaft. The diameter of the wick must correspond to that of the studs: excessive play would be detrimental to the effectiveness of the protection.
6. Secure the female plate with screws. Do not block it completely before having made a test: it will correct, when closing the door, a slight misalignment. Then lock the screws definitively. This kind of protection is always associated with the installation of a multi-point lock; hinge guards are usually provided with this type of equipment.
(photos / visuals: © DIY-Prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- Questions answers
- How to hide the location of shutter hinges?
- With what to cap the top of a half-moon entry door?
- DIY tips
- DIY: How to put door hinges?
- How to install a simple lock on isoplane door?
- Rigid door lock
- Lock 5 points
- 2 point locks
- How to install a chain door interleaver?
- How to install a door peephole?
This may interest you