- Practical advice
- An armchair "director" like new
- Prepare the armchair wood
- Gather accessories
- Brush the wooden structure of the armchair
- Sand and dust off the cinema chair
- Paint the wooden structure of the canvas chair
- Measure length and width of the seat
- Cut the fabric for a director's chair
- Sew the hems of the chair seat
- Insert the metal rods into the hems of the seat
- Put the fabric in place on the chair structure
The chair of stars and directors! Not luxurious so far, it remains fashionable and simple to renovate. Composed of a structure in wood and canvas, a little dress: a pretty painting, a new fabric... All for a small price.
If the armchair still has the original canvases, undressing taking care of everything. We then have a "pattern" for the new coating which avoids taking measurements.
Adopt the technique of double winding hems: fold over a centimeter, then repeat the operation. In addition to avoiding any fraying, the hem thus doubled reinforces the good behavior of the seat. Think about adding this centimeter to the measurements!
An armchair "director" like new
No big difficulties to give a new look to this folding armchair cinema wood and fabric.
The frame of the seat incorporates two rails in which are housed the two edges of the canvas forming the seat. Rigidity is brought by two metal rods slipped into the hems.
Prepare the armchair wood
First step, cleaning the frame:
- Degrease the wood with Saint Marc type alkaline detergent (drugstores, supermarkets), brushed with vegetable brush and rinsed with large amounts of water to remove any residue.
- Dry well before stripping with a wire brush.
- Then sand finely to obtain a perfectly smooth support.
- To give the look of the chair, we can choose, as here, a specific satin paint or translucent wood or color tones (Dulux Valentine, V33...).
- Technically, the principle is simple: after drying, apply a first layer diluted and well drawn, then sand quickly with a fine abrasive (150). Dust off and pass a second layer to the more natural tone.
- Let dry before continuing.
- The choice of the fabric (of a tight texture) is carried out exclusively among the upholstery (width 140 cm).
- The ecru cotton sheet of our example combines the required qualities: strength and resistance to deformation for a reliable seat despite the weight of a person.
- The cost will be ridiculous: 50 cm long enough.
Taking action is essential.
- Regarding the seat, the principle is that the fabric fits into the length of the rail and is maintained with a metal rod (Ø 5 mm).
- It is therefore necessary that the size of the rails, the fabric and the two rods necessary is strictly identical.
- On the contrary, the fabric of the file is put on the two uprights and makes them integral.
- Measurement records meet this requirement.
- The necessary width, sitting as a backrest, is conditioned by that of the chair in the open position.
- When plotting the measurements on the new fabric, add the hems of all the borders.
- Hold the hems in place with pins or hand-stitched to the construction wire before stitching to the sewing machine.
- The two hems intended to receive the metal rods are executed last, which allows to create the space necessary for their passage.
- The frame of the chair is folded to proceed to the introduction of the fabric in the rails.
- Imperative principle: treat both sides of the seat simultaneously and slide the fabric alternately.
- The folder, it takes its place by simply threading the amounts in the hems provided for this purpose.
Brush the wooden structure of the armchair
Undress the chair and brush the structure, without neglecting the corners, with a scrub brush and diluted alkaline lye.
Rinse to remove any deposit of soda.
Sand and dust off the cinema chair
Wait until it is dry to brush with a wire brush then sand with fine abrasive (150) to recoat fibers raised by previous operations.
Paint the wooden structure of the canvas chair
Apply a well-drawn first coat of paint diluted with 10% solvent.
Allow to dry and shell before applying a second pass, this time without dilution.
Measure length and width of the seat
Measure accurately the integral length of the sleepers of the seat.
To find its width, open the chair completely and lay the ribbon under the moldings of the backrest.
Cut the fabric for a director's chair
Before cutting the fabric, add the necessary hems to these measurements: count 10 cm in total (5 cm x 2) for the part intended for the width of the backrest, 1 cm for the other edges.
Sew the hems of the chair seat
For solid hems, prefer the sewing machine.
If necessary, point the fabric with pins or sew quickly by hand with construction wire before stitching.
Insert the metal rods into the hems of the seat
With delicacy, to avoid tearing the fabric, introduce the metal rods into the hems that are intended for them.
Cut them to the right length with a hacksaw.
Put the fabric in place on the chair structure
Fold the chair back slightly.
On both sides, insert inside the rails the edges of the fabric made rigid by the stems.
Slide carefully, simultaneously.