- Practical advice
- Strip paint
- Disassemble the louvers
- Check the leaves
- Strip the shutters
- Refresh screws and latches
- sand down
- Grease the hinges
- To paint
Less sensitive to weather than wooden shutters, metal shutters nevertheless require regular maintenance. When rust sets in and shines through the paint, it's time for a complete overhaul with long-lasting protection.
● A sanding attachment mounted on a compressor will do the same job as the chemical stripper (less dirt). Otherwise, contact a bodybuilder.
● To avoid the risk of confusion during reassembly, make a discreet mark on the shutter metal and on the wooden frame of the typed before disassembling them.
● If you have a series of shutters to repaint, you will save valuable time (and save paint) by using a spray gun. Rent possible in most GSB.
Folded in the embrasure of the windows, the blinds are discrete. Deployed, they reveal their state of conservation at the time of fulfilling their function: to block the light, to ensure the intimacy of the occupants of the house, to protect the joinery from the rain and to offer a (relative) bulwark to the dust and noise. Finally, should we insist on their deterrent role against possible intrusion attempts.
In the case of a surface treatment limited to the surface, the renovation of metal shutters can be done in place, without tedious disassembly. A simple sanding followed by a coat of paint is then sufficient. In the presence of deeper alterations (many rust spots, localized peeling) reaching the underlayer, it is necessary to consider the removal of the louvers for a deep healing treatment... at the root of the evil! Any other solution would be a palliative finally expensive. If it takes a little time, removal is easy. Do not be fooled by the method to be used: the only thing worth it is to unscrew the hinges fixing the shutters on the keys.
Mechanical and thermal stripping are difficult to apply because they are incomplete in inaccessible corners. If you have space outside, chemical stripping is the best technique to remove one or more layers of old paint. However, avoid performing this operation in full sun, the cleaner would dry too quickly without fulfilling its function.
● The application of the product is done handsomely, without spreading it, preferably with an old nylon bristle brush. Use medium surfaces, with a good emphasis on the molded parts. Put on gloves and glasses to protect yourself from projections. Cover the ground to limit soiling. If the outside temperature seems too high (more than 25°), delay the evaporation of the paint stripper by covering the part coated with a plastic film. Regularly monitor the action of the product.
● Older paints soften, leaving blisters on the surface. Remove the film with a spatula and remove the last amalgam by brushing with plenty of water. In this case, a pressure washer is very effective. Finally, remove any rust or residual paint from the wire brush and sander. Carefully check all the leaves and grease the hinges.
You can use a conventional rust inhibitor as underlay. But to save time, apply directly to the iron a protective paint, made from rust inhibiting pigments and performance resins. A single layer deposited by pulling and crossing is sufficient to obtain the decorative effect and a durable protection.
Disassemble the louvers
To disassemble louvers, remove the hinges attached to the keys. Locate the screw heads and disengage their slot by striking with a hammer on a screwdriver held at an angle.
Check the leaves
The leaves are sometimes veiled, which hinders or even condemns the opening or closing of shutters. Take the time to check them one by one and, if necessary, straighten them.
Strip the shutters
The heat gun is not recommended on metal shutters. Prefer him a chemical stripper. You can also have them sandblasted by a craftsman.
Refresh screws and latches
This is an opportunity to ensure the proper operation of the screws and other latches. Once cleared of their gangue of paint and lubricated, they will find a new youth.
Let the chemical stripper work. Depending on the thickness of the paint, pass a second coat. Then simply brush the leaf under a jet of water to remove dirt.
Where rust is deeply embedded, use the sander and wire brush to complete the preparation. The qualities of the antirust will do the rest.
Grease the hinges
With a hammer and pin punch, disengage the hinge hinges. Apply a spray of grease bomb to guarantee in time the free rotation of the axis.
Favor the choice of a special anti-corrosion paint to preserve the benefit of your work. The application is made with a wide spalter, a lapping roller and even a spray gun.