It is not enough to repaint directly metal louvers or any other object of the same nature to give them a new youth. It is necessary to thoroughly attack the rust, the main cause of their deterioration, so that the work is not useless.
- Wire brush
- Flat brush
- Brush to rechampir
- Spray can
- Antirust paint
- White paint
1. Start by brushing the shutters with a wire brush. If the painting of the shutters is very attacked, it will be necessary to opt for a total stripping with a product in gel or with the aid of a blowtorch. If, as here attacks are light, brushing will suffice.
2. The stripping will inevitably foul the shutters. After removing all the dust, carefully wash the shutters. Let them dry before proceeding to the next step.
3. Traditionally known as "minium", the undercoat of antirust paint is an additional protection to that provided by the overcoating paint (even if it is a "metal" paint).
4. Some decorative paints are specially designed to also protect metal objects from inclement weather. Wait for the rust paint undercoat to dry, then proceed to painting the shutters.
5. The painting of metal shutters is not easy, because we must not forget any place. Once the boards are painted, fold them over to paint them at the joint.
6. To paint near the frame (fixed frame) without overflowing, place a thick cardboard box between it and the shutter. You will be able to continue the work safely.
7. You can also use a spray can to cover the rust paint. If this technique is fast and practical, it nevertheless requires regular handling, the bomb always being kept at equal distance from the object to be painted.
8. It is always recommended to purge the bomb after use if you want to reuse it. To do this, hold it upside down and press the valve two or three times. This work can also be done with a spray gun. It is then advisable to remove the shutters for repainting in the workshop.
(photos / visuals: © DIY-Prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Stripping and reconditioning shutters and shutters
- How to make wooden shutters?
This may interest you