- Opening the computer case
- Replacing the CD player with the DVD player
- Closing the case
- Precautions when changing a CD player with a DVD player
PCs have long been delivered with a simple CD player. It is quite easy to substitute a DVD player that offers a storage possibility seven times larger. With a tower, the elements are very easy to access and the operation is very simple.
- Phillips screwdriver
Opening the computer case
1. Turn off the power switch and remove the power plug.
2. Press the ignition button several times to empty the capacitors and thus avoid any risk of electrocution due to the accumulation of residual current in some components.
3. Put the central unit in a horizontal position.
Loosen the side panel locking screws on the Phillips screwdriver.
4. Slide the side panel to remove it.
Be careful not to get hurt with the edges of the sheet forming the panel!
Replacing the CD player with the DVD player
1. Disconnect the power supply from the CD player.
Disconnect the IDE ribbon from the back of the CD player.
2. Follow the IDE ribbon of the CD drive to its location on the motherboard.
Locate the location of the IDE web.
3. Disconnect and completely remove the IDE pad.
4. Loosen the locking screws on the CD player with the Phillips screwdriver.
5. Slide the drive outward to remove it.
6. There are several types of connectors for CD / DVD players:
Above: a CD player and its IDE ribbon.
Downstairs: a DVD player with its SATA cable.
7. There are also two types of power connectors:
Left: a diet FDI.
Right: a diet SATA.
8. Slide the new drive (DVD) into its slot.
Tighten the locking screws of the DVD player to the screwdriver.
9. Connect the SATA power cable to the drive, and then connect the SATA cable.
10. Spot a SATA port free on the motherboard.
Connect the SATA cable from the drive to the motherboard port.
Closing the case
1. Refit the side panel.
Drag it to lock it.
2. Tighten the side panel locking screws.
3. Plug in the power cord of the computer.
Press the power switch.
Precautions when changing a CD player with a DVD player
Upon restarting the computer, the new drive will normally be automatically detected. If this is not the case, access the BIOS to check the correct connection of the reader (press the "Delete" key or the key indicated by the manufacturer at start-up).
If you have a doubt, consult the user manual of your device.
(photos / visuals: © DIY-Prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- DIY videos
- How to change the hard drive of an Apple iMac
- DIY tips
- How to replace a computer hard drive
- Remote control
This may interest you