- Practical advice
- Problem of the stairs to renovate
- Cheap renovation
- The preparation
- Correct irregularities and cracks
- Delimit the area to be restored
- Fill with resin
- Cut and glue drywall
- Protect the borders
- Painting a walk on two
- Glue the coating
- Ensure fiber cohesion
Place of passage, the staircase leading to the basement is more of a utilitarian but its transformation improves the atmosphere of the cellar inexpensively...
During the step of rectification of the irregularities of the concrete you will use resin. The side of the wood plate in contact with the resin must be covered with strips of wrapping paper, laid in a slight overlap. This technique allows unmolding of the wood without tearing.
Solvent product (dilution with white spirit) or aqueous phase (cleaning tools with water): all the floor paints have similar properties in terms of resistance to abrasion. Follow the instructions for use by the manufacturers.
Problem of the stairs to renovate
Built at the beginning of the last century, the staircase is masonry in the tradition of the builders of the time: the cut stone (for the degrees) is married rubble mounted lime mortar. Today the whole remains solid, but the repeated passages have dug some stones: they bear the traces of clumsy repairs to quick-setting cement.
● On the walls, a whitewashed whitewash highlights the stigma of blows over time by the passage of furniture and bulky objects.
As a necessary first step, the diagnosis of the existing is established after a review of usage. The next step is to reflect on the nature of the work to be undertaken. The priority: to do it quickly, for a reasonable cost. Bet held, the bill does not exceed 50 Euros!
● The bias consists of performing a complete grooming of the staircase before applying a special cement floor paint (V33, Avi, Ripolin, Astral, Dulux Valentine, Julien...); the steps are then covered with seagrass. One of the walls is doubled according to the slope of the staircase with plasterboard boards (type Plasterboard), glued directly to the adhesive mortar.
The preparation of the surfaces to be painted is the same as for a screed made of cement or raw concrete. Only difference: no need to wait two months for the support is dry in depth! Surfaces must be dry. Any trace of oil or greasy product is treated with a stain remover (acetone, for example) or an absorbent powder (terre de Sommières). The friable areas are scraped then brushed, the irregularities eliminated by chisel or grinded with carborundum.
● Preparation ends with careful dusting with the vacuum cleaner. followed by a wet mopping to remove the last dust particles.
The first layer of paint is slightly diluted (5 to 10% water or white spirit), the second is applied after drying.
● Last step: the laying of strips of seagrass. They are cut in a fall and glued on the steps with a double-sided textile adhesive. The coating is placed about 2 cm from the edge of the step to avoid the risk of tearing.
Correct irregularities and cracks
Track surface irregularities and awkward repairs to cement. Join the cracks with a bead of acrylic sealant smoothed with a fingertip dipped in soapy water.
Delimit the area to be restored
Delicate to treat, the repair of the walking nose will be invisible thanks to the painted finish. Delimit the area to be restored by a thin bead of plasticine (Plastiline).
Fill with resin
Compress the modeling clay between the riser and a wooden plate. Fill the resin cavity (here in pre-accelerated polyester from Sintofer). Sand after hardening.
Cut and glue drywall
Cut plasterboard diagonally to follow the slope of the stairs. Glue them with adhesive mortar (about 40 cm apart). The first fall serves as the basis for the next panel.
Protect the borders
The edging on the free side of the stairs and the steps receive the same paint applied to the rabbit's paw. Use masking tape to prevent smudging.
Painting a walk on two
To keep the use of the staircase during the works, the best solution is to paint every other step. Wait 24 hours for complete drying. Renew the operation.
Glue the coating
Resin-based paint reached full strength after 72 hours. Glue strips of your choice on the steps with double-sided tape.
Ensure fiber cohesion
A bead of glue on the edge of the coating ensures the cohesion of the fibers and limits the risk of tearing or detachment. The glue is smoothed on the finger, then painted after drying.