- Practical advice
- Proper stripping
- Reconstitute the board
- Repair the slides
- Create a new plateau
- Drill and screw
- Round the songs
- Consolidate the structure
- Paste behind the scenes
- Treat the facade
- Deposit locks
Chipped in antiques or salvaged in the street, wooden furniture can regain a second youth despite a degraded appearance. Demonstration with this dresser...
Warning: when removing the furniture, avoid soaking the bottom and sides. Plywood boards inserted into the grooves of the studs may swell and split.
Preferably use acrylic paint in aqueous phase. Allow to dry well between the two layers because the fibers of the wood are raised. Stir before applying the final coat.
Found on a sidewalk, the small dresser is damaged. But a quick inspection shows that it can be repaired without difficulty. Only the drawers are very damaged and the original marble top has disappeared. It will be replaced by a custom made wooden tray.
The furniture has received many layers of wax that clog the surface. It is therefore essential to strip it before painting.
● A straightener is applied with a brush (Libéron, Les Frères Nordin, Dyrup, Bondex...). The surface is rinsed thoroughly, ginned with sandpaper (fine grain) for good adhesion, then dusted.
● Another solution is to leach the surface (Saint-Marc diluted with water) by rubbing vigorously with a quack brush, followed by rinsing.
● As soon as the wood is dry, it is recommended to treat it with an insecticide and fungicide (V33, Xylophene, The old cabinetmakers...).
Reconstitute the board
To determine the dimensions of the new tray, the width and depth of the furniture are measured. Then 2 cm are added to the front and each side (not to the back). Two or even three (20 mm thick) fir planks recovered are machine planed. To assemble them, a layer of vinyl glue is applied by brush on the edges of the planks, held with two large clamps.
● To fix the new tray to the dresser, it is centered respecting the 2 cm overhangs. Ø 5 mm holes are drilled in the top rails. Attention, the screws intended to fasten the plate to the structure must not be too long (not to exceed the plateau).
Repair the slides
In the form of an angle, each drawer slide consists of two cleats glued and nailed at right angles. Deposited and repaired, they are glued on the uprights with vinyl glue. Clamps can position them well.
● If a slide is broken or worm-eaten, it is easy to rebuild one with two cleats. Before fixing the slides, check that the drawer slides smoothly.
It is preceded by sanding the dresser with fine-grained sandpaper (150). Two layers of paint are applied, taking care to squeeze between each. The light gray of the structure contrasts with the color of the drawer front and the darker side panels.
Create a new plateau
The new tray is made of wooden planks. Assembled singing against edge with vinyl glue, they are held together by clamps. Make sure the set does not bend.
Drill and screw
Put the tray on the floor. Turn the furniture over and center it, leaving 2 cm on each side as well as on the front (no overhang on the back). Pierce the sleepers. Screw.
Round the songs
Using an angled rasp (or sanding wedge), round off the edges of the tray (at the front and on the sides). Sand the surface with corundum paper, coarse grain then fine.
Consolidate the structure
To consolidate the structure (some assemblies have play), remove tenon and mortise with the chisel. Inject the wood glue, then press with a clamp. Wipe off excess product.
Paste behind the scenes
The ends of the slides of the drawers (some are reconstituted) are stuck on the uprights. Before tightening, test the drawer to verify that guidance is correct.
Treat the facade
Only the structure has been stripped: the front of the drawers is treated in a second time. Apply a scrubber with a brush and then rinse thoroughly with water.
After being deposited, the rounded original locks are highlighted with acrylic paint. Playing the contrasts of color brings a certain cachet to the piece of furniture.