- Why plan your construction site?
- What is a good site planning?
- What are the steps to include in a home construction project?
- Tips for a smooth construction
Having your house built is an increasingly accessible dream. Nevertheless, a construction site of a house must be planned and carefully followed, otherwise it will become entangled in endless works. Administrative procedures, preliminary study, plans and construction site must be carefully prepared, planned and monitored.
Why plan your construction site?
Several scenarios can occur in the planning of the works:
- if you benefit from an Individual House Construction Contract (CMI), the site planning is provided by the builder who is committed to the respect of the construction schedule, the delays of stages and delivery being the subject of penalties,
- if you call on a project manager or if you entrust the project management to an architectthey are the ones who have to provide the work planning,
- assuming both the role of owner (who places the orders) and the prime contractor (the one who has them executed)we are led to carry out the work planning and the coordination between the different companies. This requires serious skills in this area,
- if you are a self-builder, we assume the overall construction tasks, including of course the schedule that is imposed on oneself or imposed on potential companies taking over parts of the site.
It is estimated fifteen months the average total duration of a single-family home construction project.
What is a good site planning?
A good site planning takes into account the times required at each step (in consultation with the professionals concerned). It is therefore necessary to evaluate the deadlines:
- obtaining administrative authorizations,
- of order and delivery of materials, products and equipment,
- completion of works.
Important: search and discussion times must be taken into account, as well as possible delays due to weather conditions or company delays (provide for late payment on the order). Professional vacations (often one month in summer and two weeks in winter) also count.
What are the steps to include in a home construction project?
Step 1: Prepare
The first step for a house construction site is to lay the foundation of the project: desires, budget and reality of the ground are to be taken into account. It is a stage of preparation of the site strictly speaking and it lasts from three to four months.
At this stage it is necessary to provide:
- the realization of plans by an architect where the choosing a house model from a builder,
- the eventual signing of the construction contract,
- the submission of a building permit application,
- the insurance audit and civil liability all the parties involved, the project manager (they are implicit in the case of a CMI contract),
- the declaration of network works on networks-and-canizations.internet.com,
- the application for building permit in town hall (the builder deals with it if a construction contract has been signed),
- the taking information in town hall on local specificities (Lightning rod requirement, water quality, etc.),
- the claim for damage insurance from his insurer or from a specialized insurer (the builder usually offers you an insurer if a construction contract has been signed)
Step 2: Follow
The second stage of a construction site is the production of it proper:
- if we use a individual house builderhe is in charge of the operations,
- if we dealt with a contractor or architect In charge of the project management, it is normally up to them, also to follow the construction site, but as we will have signed contracts with various stakeholders, it is necessary and important to be aware of them and to regularly monitor them. ;
- if we assume the role of prime contractor, we must ensure all the monitoring and coordination of the site (it is obvious when we are self-builder).
- the earthworks and excavation,
- the laying of the basement slab and / or the realization of the foundations,
- the construction of the shell (walls, frames, roof, basements): the house is waterproof when the setting "out of water" and "out of the air" are completed,
- the laying of exterior joinery (who signs the setting "out of the air"),
- the performing a permeability test,
- theinsulation and laying interior partitions,
- the connection to networks (water, gas, electricity),
- the completion of the finishes (floor and wall coverings, bathroom and kitchen layout, heating, etc.).
Step 3: Receive
Once the site is finished, it is necessary to receive the works. It is a legal process that marks the beginning of the periods covered by insurance and guarantees:
- guarantee of perfect completion (1 year),
- guaranteed perfect operation (2 years)
- ten-year guarantee and damage insurance (10 years).
Tips for a smooth construction
If a well-planned project is likely to succeed, some complementary advice can facilitate the fluidity of the process, especially if one assumes the project management.
- to fix precisely with the providers the working hours,
- determine a storage area for materials and tools,
- keep carefully signed quotes in a form printed and digital,
- inform the builder if a defect is found during a site visit (set in agreement with that one) and record this exchange in writing (by email or by registered mail if the builder has not taken the necessary measures for the first remark) )
- maintain a constant and cordial dialogue with the various professionals involved when passing on the site or by scheduling follow-up appointments,
- document in writing and by photo the whole site, as often as possible (this evidence can be used in case of dispute with one of the companies),
- write oral correspondence with the builder: all topics discussed and validated on the site should be summarized by email (only the written document is valid in case of dispute and they allow a reminder, sometimes useful, points discussed).
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- How to choose your home insurance?
- What are the administrative steps to enlarge his house
- How does the energy renovation plan for buildings work?
- Property damage insurance: how to make it play?
- 10-year, biennial and perfect completion coverage
- Questions answers
- How do you play the guarantee of perfect completion, or annual guarantee?
- How to choose an individual house builder?
- How to calculate the performance of a prime contractor?
This may interest you