Spray painting is not suitable for all surfaces. Effective for uneven surfaces and for very elaborate parts (grid, wrought iron, etc.), it can however also be used for large flat surfaces. Its application requires a number of precautions, and in particular the establishment of caches. The preparation of the paint is very important, because the paint sold "all prepared", too thick to be sprayed, requires the provision of a suitable diluent. To check if the paint density is suitable, a viscometer is used.
- Viscometer paint gun
- Cache (newspapers, adhesive tapes, plastic films)
- Suction extension
- Curved ceiling extension
- Vaseline oil
- Preparation and assembly
Preparation and assembly
1. The viscometer is usually delivered with the gun. It is most often accompanied by a table giving information for the use of different types of paints and varnishes. Fill the viscometer and calculate the time it takes to empty. If the paint is too fluid, it will flow on the surface to be painted; if it is too viscous, the nozzle will clog quickly. To obtain a good dosage, it is often better to do successive tests.
2. When the proper mixture is found, pour the paint into the cup; choose a nozzle (nozzle) corresponding to the work to be done. The range is very wide: sprinklers for small or large surfaces, with concentrated jet or wide diffusion. There are also flexible extensions for painting in difficult places (radiators).
3. Then mount the body of the device. The suction hose of this model, equipped with a suction strainer, makes the preliminary sieving of the paint superfluous, even for a perfect finish.
4. On most devices, the bucket (tank) is equipped with a filling scale, which can be used to identify the quantities of paint required.
5. Adjust the pressure. The different guns are differentiated mainly by their maximum pressure. To paint grills, furniture and walls, to make bodywork repairs, low pressure appliances (2 to 3 kg / cm2) are suitable. High pressure devices are mainly used by specialists.
6. The pressure should be adjusted according to the viscosity of the paint, so that the diffusion (burst) is sufficiently fine. The best is to proceed by successive tests. If the burst is not thin enough, the paint will be blistered (orange peel). Do your tests on a vertical surface (a paper on the wall, for example). Hold the gun at an even distance from the surface to be painted.
7. Many accessories fit on commercially available guns. Most major brands offer "kit" presentations, where the gun is offered with all other accessories. To avoid recharging the tank several times by treating a large area (a door for example), there are suction extensions with return pipe that bring the paint or varnish directly into the tank. The model presented here filters the liquid at the same time.
8. Curved extensions, which are also attached to the unit, make it possible to paint ceilings or varnish crawlers. To treat a large area (wall or ceiling), start from one corner and always make regular zigzags in one direction and then in the other. Work in an orderly manner, surface to surface; you will thus obtain a homogeneous veil. On vertical panels, always paint downhill, to make up for any dripping.
9. Remember that you usually use quick drying paints for spray painting; this means that you have a short time after the application to clean the equipment. Organize your work so that you can do everything in one go. Disassemble the appliance, and clean the filter (strainer), the suction pipe, the nozzle and the other parts separately. Use for cleaning the same thinner as for the paint and proceed carefully. The best is to fully immerse the accessories in the thinner and then rub with a brush.
10. To clean the nozzle, first pass it through the thinner by thoroughly penetrating the product with a small brush.
11. Then pour a little thinner into the well-cleaned cup and spray this diluent for a few seconds: this is an essential operation that prevents the pump from sticking, making the unit unusable. On some guns, where the pump is interchangeable, it can take off easily; on others, such a breakdown poses big problems, and it is then necessary to disassemble everything. Also clean the appliance body carefully so that it does not become dirty.
12. Before storing your spray gun, pour some vaseline oil into the cup, reassemble the device, and spray this product for a few seconds to oil the pump. This will prevent seizure always possible when the unit dries. Well cleaned and well maintained, your gun will last a very long time, this kind of device being designed for a large number of hours of operation (and being, in fact, used rather little time each time). This is the whole problem of his job which must offer a significant time saving compared to a painting by roller but including the time of the phase of preparation of the painting and that, still longer, cleaning the gun.
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Waterborne paints: vinyl, acrylic and alkyd
- Choose a depolluting, insect or heating paint
- The colors in the house: aspects and effects
- Paint the metal
- Ecological drugstore products
- Fixed barbecues in kit
- Successfully restore a wooden table
- Using a spray gun
- Tiling on a terrace
- Floor paint and synthetic turf
- Vinyl paper on old lacquered paints
- Painting, preparation
- Painting: the right tools, the right techniques
- Paintings living rooms RIPOLIN
- Straight Line Masking Tape (tesa)
- Masking Tape Perfect Finishes - ultra sharp edges (tesa)
- DIY videos
- Spray painting: use of material
- Painting with a spray gun: preparation
This may interest you