- Necessary material
- What the law says?
- One way to sweep
- 1. Preparation of equipment for sweeping
- 2. Chimney sweeping
- Tip for DIYers
Who says house equipped with a chimney says chimney sweeping. An essential intervention that aims to prevent fires by removing from the duct residues likely to hinder the evacuation of flue gases.
- Sliding ladder
- Flat roof ladder
- Hedgehog and flexible sweeping rods
- Metal shovel
- Polyane tarpaulin
Cost: about 80 € (by a professional)
Time: 1 hour
A chimney fire is the consequence of a poorly maintained or unmaintained conduit. If the bistre - a residue loaded with carbon, tar and sulfur from burning wood - is not removed regularly, the probability of a fire going high is high. In the case where the duct ignites, the roof may be burned (including those of terraced houses), as the floors of the upper floors.
What the law says?
TheArticle 31 of the departmental health regulation (RSD) is accurate: chimney sweeping is mandatory twice a year (before and during the period of use) and once a year for devices powered by gaseous fuels. Because sweeping does not only concern the uncased ducts of fireplaces with open fireplaces as here, but also those of inserts, stoves and boilers (wood, pellets, fuel, gas...). The law prescribes the use of a professionalwho gives a certificate after his intervention. This document is important because insurers are free to ask for it in the event of a claim.
One way to sweep
If the duct of an open hearth recedes with a metallic hedgehog when not cased, a synthetic hedgehog is used to avoid damaging the casing of closed hearth ducts that are necessarily equipped. We ramone from the roof (from top to bottom) not to create a plug at the exit of the conduit. In parallel, it is a question of controlling the good state of functioning of the detectors of smoke and carbon monoxide.
1. Preparation of equipment for sweeping
- Cut a piece large enough to seal the hearth with a masking tape attached to the mantel and hearth of the chimney.
- The sliding scale is positioned on the facade in the axis of the duct.
- A slate (or tile) is removed to attach the hook of the roof ladder to the battens.
- Evaluate the height of the fireplace at the outlet of the duct, then screw the flexible rods together (here 2 x 2 m) and the hedgehog at the end of cane.
2. Chimney sweeping
- Mount on the roof equipped with a harness for work safely.
- Posted in front of the stump of the chimney, to engage the hedgehog in the exit of the conduit.
- The hedgehog is plunged to the focus with movements back and forth and down the cane little by little to its end.
- The operation is repeated three times.
- After sweeping, wait a few moments for the dust to fall into the firebox and then peel off the adhesive from the mantel to remove the tarp.
- Using a seal and a metal shovel (or failing a trowel), evacuate the bistre fallen into the hearth.
- Complete the operation by carefully cleaning the fireplace (including the vertical walls) covered with soot using a brush and a shovel or a vacuum cleaner equipped with a suitable tank.
Tip for DIYers
In a house equipped with several chimneys of which only one duct is exploited, one identifies the one which must be swept at the exit blackened by the smoke. In the case of two ducts side by side, one detects the one requiring maintenance by throwing a pebble that must be found in the home concerned.