- What are the deadlines for settling an estate?
- Some steps must, however, respect deadlines imposed by law
Know that from the moment you inherit property, you are required to use a notary to perform the various administrative and legal steps. In addition to managing the succession from A to Z, he will also have to respect deadlines to transmit the various real estates to the different heirs. The heirs will then have to declare the estate and pay the inheritance tax to the tax authorities.
What are the deadlines for settling an estate?
The transfer of assets consists of different stages, all managed by a notary and framed by law. Even if the law imposes no deadline, know that the average time to transmit a real estate heritage is from 3 to 5 months when the file does not generate any complications.
Some steps must, however, respect deadlines imposed by law
- Inventory of the estate: it must be realized within 3 months from the date of death. To get the notary to do this as quickly as possible, give him all the documents needed for the inventory such as statements of accounts of the deceased, a summary of debts, bank loans and anything that could help the assessment. heritage. If need be, the notary will move to the home of the deceased to an estimate of the property.
- The declaration of succession: it must be addressed to the income tax of the last domicile of the deceased within 6 months after the death. You have a period of one year if the deceased resided abroad.
- Inheritance tax: you must pay inheritance tax to the tax authorities within 6 months after the date of death. In the event of late payment, an interest of 0.40% per month (4.8% per annum) is due to the tax authorities. After 10 years, an increase of 10% is applied. Know that it is possible to obtain payment facilities up to 5 years or 10 years in return for a real estate mortgage or bank guarantee.
Even though average time is 6 monthsknow that only 5 to 10% of estates are finalized within this time frame because there are often complications. If there is a disagreement between the heirs, the procedure may take years. In this case, it is recommended to pay a deposit to the tax office to pay part of inheritance tax. The penalties will then be calculated on the amount remaining due and not on the total amount.