- Causes of sagging sofa
- The steps to restore volume to a sofa
Over time, the sofa collapses and is no longer as comfortable as before, especially in the area where we usually sit. In many cases, it can be repaired. So, instead of investing in a brand new piece of furniture, it's better to try and repair it to save money.
Causes of sagging sofa
The repair of the sofa will depend on the reason for the sag. So, the first step is to inspect the furniture to see if the concern comes from the cushions, frame, slats or springs.
The concern comes from the cushions if the sofa does not take again its original form when one gets up. If this is not the case, see the side of the frame, slats or springs. It is thus necessary to return the piece of furniture to check the presence of cracks or other problems.
The steps to restore volume to a sofa
The interior of a cushion generally comprises a foam surrounded by a wool, polyester or cotton fabric. To change the padding, the steps are as follows:
- Open the zipper to remove the worn padding;
- Take the dimensions of the cushion to know the amount of padding to use;
- Cut two layers respecting the size of the cushion;
- Place the padding and close the cushion.
Upholstery fabrics are available in DIY stores or on the Internet.
If the concern is at the level of foambecause the latter has hollows or crumbling, it must be replaced. The ideal is to choose a foam with a density of at least 35kg / m3 for the seat and 30 kg / m3 for the backrest and armrests. Foams with a "High Resilience" label are more comfortable and have a longer life.
The steps to repair the springs are as follows:
- Remove the bottom fabric starting with the staples using a staple remover;
- Straighten the twisted springs using pliers;
- Remove the broken springs with a sander and replace them;
- Replace the bottom fabric and secure by stapling.
Steps to repair broken slats:
- The ideal is to get new slats, but they can also be replaced by simple pieces of hard plywood;
- Remove the bottom fabric, then remove the broken slats;
- Place the new slats and replace the bottom fabric.
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- How to clean the stainless steel without scratching it?
- How to clean the leather: 4 effective tips
This may interest you