The storm has cut down on quantities of trees, which must now be cleared, but the wood must also be recovered. A felled tree provides three types of wood:
1 - The wood menu which is the support of the antlers, which is grinded or burned on the spot if it is possible and authorized (neighborhood).
2 - The log wood that constitute the branches, more generally intended for heating.
3 - The barrel wood which is the central body of the tree. Depending on its nature and condition, it will be removed in logs if it is exploitable (carpentry, carpentry or paper pulp) or debited on site to make firewood but after being shucked. We can also name the strain if it is a tree uprooted by the wind because it must also be treated. To recover the wood and to clean the ground is made today with machines, the chainsaws, which make the greatest services, but with which it is necessary to take a maximum of precautions...
- The uses of the chainsaw
- How to cut a tree
The uses of the chainsaw
1. Sawing wood on flat ground with a suitable saw called log saw and an X to maintain the sawing wood is a minimal risk. The operation is however tedious and tiring in the long run...
2. Sawing wood on the spot, at the foot of the tree with a chainsaw is faster, louder but more risky because the natural conditions of safety are not established and it is necessary to be doubly vigilant.
3. Trimming a tree usually requires climbing in to cut branches. Doing it with a saw is not always the most practical but it is certainly the least dangerous. Watch out for the stability of the ladders! The use of a harness becomes necessary if you want to remain covered by your insurance.
Precautions to take
1. Climbing a tree with a chainsaw is strongly discouraged unless you are a professional. Never start such a site alone and you must have all the means to communicate and a first aid kit. In addition to the basic precautions, it is necessary to attach the chain saw to a rope before climbing, then climb into the tree with the rope, attach and then only mount the chain saw.
2. Only a professional logger can work on a tree of this size because he will be able not only to apply the necessary safety conditions for this type of construction site but also to take the ones that the evolution of the work will impose. In addition, he has the necessary equipment and equipment that would be too expensive for an individual.
How to cut a tree
Each type of wood requires a chainsaw that will cut it, a length of cutter adapted to the size that it presents. The bottom model has been used to fell the tree while the lower one is ideal for cutting branches. This type of difference must also be found in the power of the engine in order to adapt the machine to the hardness of the wood species to be cut.
1. One is always tempted, when cutting the branches of a fallen tree, to attack them at the base of the trunk. This is not the meaning of work because it requires to leave the site, the branch complete, so heavy and difficult to maneuver to work. Start with the wood menu of the ends of the branches that you can either burn as you go, or go into a grinder or if you want to recover it to light the fire, bind it in bundles. Access to the branches will be facilitated and you will be able to saw them easily by pieces of 50 or 100 cm going up towards the trunk. Use a pigeon for successful cuts at regular intervals.
2. The same technique is used by professional lumberjacks when it comes to cutting larger branches or an otherwise unusable barrel. Their equipment allows them to use the appropriate cutterbar (some are interchangeable) to the diameter of the wood to cut without having to make several circular cuts to cut a piece.
3. To saw a branch of medium size still attached to the tree and the end of which does not rest on anything, it is necessary to start cutting from below on a small third of the diameter then to finish over it at the same level. This prevents the wood from breaking underneath, driven by the weight of the sawed piece before this cut (only practiced over it) is completely done.
4. To saw a branch whose end rests on the ground, it is necessary to reverse the order of the cuts because if it is carried out only by the top of the branch, it will tighten on the cutterbar as and when cut to block. In this case, do not force and do not cause jolts. Stop the engine of the chainsaw and ask the person working with you (never work alone on a site of this type!) To act on the branch to allow clearance of the machine.
5. To avoid rubbing any pebbles with the chain (alteration of the teeth) when cutting a branch on the ground, it must be lifted by placing a log under it. The bigger and easier it is sawing. Be sure to place it beyond the peg before making the cut so that the sawed piece has no other support.
1. The use of a grinder makes it possible to keep a clean and clean site when it is not possible to burn the small wood. It also makes it possible to recover useful chips when they have dried to perform mulching.
2. If, during a major cut, your cutter blade is tightened at the end of the cut to the point of being unable to finish it, stop your chainsaw and then push a wooden wedge at the beginning of the cut to give it a sufficient width (greater than the thickness of the chain). The cut will end without problem.
3. The felling of a tree can be the occasion to draw from the barrel, decorative wooden plates of more or less thick. Their use is only a matter of imagination: not Japanese, rustic table or stool, even decorative element hanging on the wall. Take the precaution of treating them with a fungicide.
4. In addition to the most commonly used thermal cutters, there are models powered by a power cord (such as lawn mowers). Their use is reserved for maintenance, DIY or log cutting for heating. For the rest, these machines are not the best suited.
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Tips on whether firewood is dry
- How to maintain a chainsaw?
This may interest you