- Practical advice
- Tubeless tires
- From the outside
- How to repair?
- Repair kit
- Extract the foreign body
- Drive the scorer to the location
- Threading a wick in the eye
- To penetrate the strands of the wick
- Twist the wick and remove the needle
- Cut the ends
- Re-inflate the tire
A tubeless tire is easily repaired (without a tube) thanks to the drill kits, without disassembling the tire from the rim and sometimes without removing the wheel.
The tubeless rims are of a special type: the groove allows the lips of the rims (stiffeners of the flanks) to seal. Never mount a tubeless on an ordinary rim. To avoid any risk of bursting, it is forbidden to put a tube in a tubeless tire. Only the tread can be repaired, not the sidewalls! In order to use this kit on the road, remember to store it inside the car.
The tires of cars and motorcycles of old generation (so-called Tube type) were equipped with inner tube. Now, the majority of tires are without a chamber: it is the "Tubeless" which offers the advantage of deflating gradually in case of puncture. Formerly, the room was repaired with a patch. With Tubeless, the technique is different.
From the outside
This principle of cold vulcanization consists of introducing a soft ankle coated with special glue into the hole of the puncture. A chemical reaction (the glue acts on the rubber) ensures a tight connection between the ankle and the tire.
● To carry out this type of repair, kits are marketed (€ 10 to € 19 in specialized stores). They have several dowels pre-coated special glue-dissolution (in the form of locks or braids). The glue is sometimes supplied separately, packaged in a small tube. A scorer is also delivered in the kit. Pointed and rough, it can be compared to a grater and is used to shape the puncture hole. Finally, you will find a big needle with a handle, his eye is open at the end.
The kit can help you on the road, and the intervention is fast: but the puncture must be of little importance (nail hole or other small pointed object). Only the tread can be repaired, especially not the sidewalls! In addition, the repair can not be performed on a tire that has rolled flat. If in doubt about the internal condition of the tire, it is strongly recommended (after troubleshooting) to have it removed and checked by a specialist who can detect tears. It's all about your safety!
● This kit is only suitable for certain categories of tires whose speed rating is indicated by the letters T or H (eg 195 x 70 x 15 T). Not the indices V or W which are equipped with fast cars.
How to repair?
With or without disassembly of the wheel, the repair comes down to a few simple actions.
● Locate the location of the foreign object and remove it. In the wound, pass the scorer several times, as if to file it. Insert the horse's wick into the eye of the needle, then point it into the hole. Pushing on the handle, the wick enters the tire. Turn the handle a quarter of a turn and remove the needle. Cut the braid a little above the tread.
● For re-inflation, some kits contain carbon dioxide (CO2) cartridges supplied with a special tip to connect them to the valve. This allows you to return to a service station to perform additional pressure. Another solution: use a small compressor connected to the battery.
The repair kit brings together two indispensable tools: the scoring machine and the open-eye needle. The five wicks are pre-coated with glue and do not require the addition of glue.
Extract the foreign body
Here, the foreign body is easy to locate: a screw has crossed the tread. Leverage with tongs or pliers to extract the object.
Drive the scorer to the location
In the felt, mark the location of the injury. Then push the scorer and maneuver it several times. This rasp has an opening shaped to receive the ankle.
Threading a wick in the eye
Grasp a sticky bit of glue with pliers (to avoid contact with the fingers). Crush one end to thread it into the eye of the needle. balance both strands.
To penetrate the strands of the wick
Place the tip of the needle on the mark. Push by lightly rotating to the right and left to penetrate the two strands of the wick. Let exceed 2 cm.
Twist the wick and remove the needle
Turn the needle handle a quarter of a turn to twist the wick inside. With one hand, press on the tire, while the other withdraws the needle whose eye is opened in fork.
Cut the ends
Cut the ends of the wick to 3 mm from the tread. You can test the tightness by inflating the tire and placing it in a basin of water: no bubbles should come out.
Re-inflate the tire
To re-inflate the tire, you can troubleshoot with CO2 cartridges and then adjust the pressure. Otherwise, use a small compressor connected to the vehicle's cigarette lighter.