- Practical advice
- Diagnosis and preparations
- The treatment
- Drill the wood
- Push the injection pins
- Spray spray
- Injection by cartridge
- Leave in place
- Capillarity Penetration
Sensitive point, the framework must be the subject of regular examinations. For heartwood treatments, there is now an injection kit. And for surface protection, a garden sprayer is enough. Easy methods to implement by an individual.
The packaging of the treatment products are generally marked inside or outside. In both cases, the products offer the same efficiency, but the chemical components differ slightly. Indeed, a staircase or visible beams are in permanent contact with the inhabitants: they must not diffuse toxic components. Think about it when buying and prefer a product for interior wood if you think to arrange your roofs leaving the visible beams.
Even for the interior, these products are always toxic. Protect yourself carefully by wearing chemical gloves and a specific filter cartridge mask, this is a minimum.
Xylophagous insects (wood eaters) find a lot of choice in undeveloped attics. Their larvae represent a danger for a framework whose chemical protection is diminishing.
● Curative as much as preventive, chemical treatments are now within the reach of a handyman. With a garden sprayer and an injection treatment kit, you can perform an effective operation. to book however small attacks!
Diagnosis and preparations
Start by carefully inspecting the framework. Woods such as oak or chestnut are not likely to cause pests if the cover is healthy and well ventilated. But under a broken tile for a long time is created a wet area, conducive to the development of fungi.
● A probe at the tip of the knife can delineate the parts actually worm-eaten or reached in a superficial way. For surface symptoms, a rotating brush mounted on a drill or grinder is enough to scrape the material and find the healthy wood. Avoid a plane shot because old frames are often dotted with old nails.
● The more attacked parts deserve to be drawn with a sharp blade, a big chisel or an "adze", a type of ice ax with wide and curved iron. The job is then to detach the spongy parts or made brittle by the many galleries of larvae. Stop as soon as you find the healthy wood, even if it still has holes.
Brushing with a brush or direct spraying with a garden spray is sufficient for surface treatment. Plan plastic films to protect the surroundings.
● For more affected areas, it is necessary to ensure diffusion in the heart of the wood with an injection kit. You have the choice between the electric gun (example Wagner) or the cartridges (example Diamantine). The two systems are the same, but treating a complete roof with the gun costs less.
● The gun injection system uses specific plastic anchors and a hollow handle called "snap". The dowel has a non-return ball and a valve to connect to the gun. If you already have an electric gun, just buy the corresponding bit system. It is mounted in place of the nozzle. Ankles are sold in GSB, the radius of paint guns.
● Auto-injectable cartridges are a fairly close principle. One cartridge per meter is enough, compared to three for the gun injection.
Drill the wood
Drill two-thirds of the thickness of the piece of wood with the bit provided in the treatment kit. Make an average of three holes per linear meter, avoiding aligning the holes.
Push the injection pins
Press the injection pins into the mallet with the rivet. Knock lightly until the flange locks against the wood (it increases the tightness during injection).
For spraying with a spray gun, you have the choice between filling the bucket or the direct suction system in the drum with a long hose connected in place of the tank.
Present the gun with its specific nozzle facing the ankle. Push forward to clip the nozzle. Spray for a few moments, until the product comes back.
Injection by cartridge
The cartridge injection system uses the principle of ankles. Before installation, screw the activator to the base of the cartridge until the ring breaks. Shake a little.
Leave in place
Screw the white tip on the top of the cartridge then clip the assembly on the dowel. Then leave everything in place until complete emptying (three days). Remove the cartridge.
The treatment products have a large solvent charge which facilitates capillary penetration. A whitewashing spray protects against external attacks.
Once the tank is pressurized, spray the product. Protect surrounding surfaces with plastic film and wear a filter mask and gloves.