- Practical advice
- Electric mower
- Engine does not run
- The engine is windy
- Routine maintenance
- Clear the grass regularly
- Insulate the windings
- Oil mechanical parts
- Replace the capacitor
- Sharpen the blade
- Protect from rust
- Lubricate the wheels
- Reinforce plastic fasteners
Electric mowers are simple machines. They require little maintenance and startup is almost always assured. However, the engine may refuse to run or operate only intermittently. What to do?
The power cable is the problem of electric mowers. Hold it on the handlebars to prevent it from going under the machine and being cut.
After use, store your lawn mower away. Although protected by a plastic housing, rain can penetrate and "burn" the engine. be careful when
storage not to shear or damage the cable with the handlebar joint that connects the control box and the motor.
An electric mower does not have the complexity of its thermal counterpart: the main part is a 220 V single-phase asynchronous alternating motor with associated starter capacitor. This motor directly drives the rotating blade placed at the end of the shaft. Two consecutive failures led to the search for the cause of the malfunction and to remedy it while bringing the little maintenance that was lacking.
Engine does not run
The power cable may be involved: cut or shorted. In the first case, by placing another electrical device at the end of the cable, it does not work. In the second case, if the protection of the switchboard trips, the cable is short-circuited.
● When the power cable is not faulty, the fault may come from the control box. Placed at hand on the handlebars, it has a safety for startup. By pressing the central button, the safety unlocks the handle that must be tightened to activate the switch applying the voltage to the motor. Releasing the handle immediately cuts this tension.
● This two-part control box encloses the handlebar tube. Its opening reveals small plastic parts whose position must be identified before disassembly. If the failure is mechanical, the blockage can come from a simple lack of lubrication. Before any operation, check the travel of the handle controlling the toggle switch. Maintained in its housing, it is maneuvered by a plastic pusher. In case of hard spots, replace it.
● Tested with the ohmmeter, the housing must have between its access lugs zero resistance on "on" and infinite on "off". If the control box is working properly when the handle is pressed, check the cable that connects it to the motor.
The engine is windy
The engine takes a while to reach its speed and lacks power.
● Most often, it is the boot capacitor. Difficult to test, just observe its appearance. An inflated or bloated appearance denounces a capacitor at the end of life. The inductor winding begins to short circuit, causing heating and a characteristic burnt lacquer odor. Typically it is a model of 20 microfarads and a 400 V operating voltage, unpolarized. After replacement, the engine regains all its energy.
After mowing, lay the machine on its side and remove with spatula grass and soil adhering under the housing. disassemble the blade and sharpen according to the angle of origin. Balancing can be helpful. Touch up paint on the sump when the sheet is exposed. Disassemble the wheels and lubricate the axles. Tighten the engine cover fixing screws.
Clear the grass regularly
The motor is protected by a cover which also ensures the pipe of the air pulsed by the propeller (at the end of tree). Be careful to clear the accumulated grass at its base, it is harmful to cooling.
Insulate the windings
Remove the cover fixed by three screws. With a special electric circuit spray, spray on the coils an insulating film, it protects from moisture and combats oxidation.
Oil mechanical parts
If the engine does not start, open the control box. Spray a fluid oil that will facilitate the movement of the mechanical parts controlling the dual switch located at the bottom.
Replace the capacitor
At the front of the engine, the starting capacitor may be damaged. Blubbered, he must be replaced. Here it is by an element from washing machine 20 μF, 400V.
Sharpen the blade
The sharpening of the blade is part of routine maintenance. After disassembly, retouch the cutting edge while maintaining the angle of attack. Reassemble the blade in the correct direction and tighten the central screw
Protect from rust
The underside of the metal housing is susceptible to rust. Scrape the grass and soil crust, wash, dry and apply two coats of lead-free minium every 24 hours.
Lubricate the wheels
The wheels often lack lubrication which wears their hubs. With a special pliers, remove the elastic ring that holds the wheel on its axis. Put some fat on it.
Reinforce plastic fasteners
The plastic ties that join the two parts of the grass catcher break frequently. Make aluminum legs, formed and placed with blind rivets Ø 4 mm.