- Practical advice
- Lay your carpet
- Imperative: a floor in good condition
- Adhesive tapes for better adhesion
- Soil preparation
- Cut-outs and laying of the first
- Cutting and laying edge-to-edge
- Supplies for laying a carpet without glue
- Shopping carpet
- 1. Acidulous tones.
- 2. Silky appearance.
- 3. High resistance.
- 4. Chinée.
- 5. Repositionable reasons.
- Shopping vinyl, parquet, marmoleum, sisal...
- 1. Flooring aspect.
- 2. Recycled.
- 3. 100 ideas.
- 4. Flexible when walking.
- 5. Trompe-l'oeil.
- 6. White massif.
- 7. Cork facing.
- 8. Classic seagrass.
- 9. Cozy sisal.
- 10. Lino green.
Insulating, pleasant to the touch and resistant, the carpet can be put in place thanks to different techniques. The installation without glue facilitates its replacement in case of wear.
Cost: 10 to 30 € / m2
Time: 1/2 day per piece of 15 m2 (except preparation)
Equipment: cutter, carpenter's pencil, meter, long ruler, sweeper, tailor's scissors
Lay your carpet
The carpet remains one of the most comfortable flooring. It arises easily, in a very short time and with a minimum of specialized tools.
There are different methods for laying carpet.
- Laying stretched on underlay (jute frame) belongs to the past and is not within the reach of all.
- The glued pose or the "free" pose (as here) are however the responsibility of the unsophisticated handyman.
The first has a double disadvantage. The solvent cement used is aggressive for the environment and bronchi. In addition, the final fixing of the carpet complicates its replacement and is problematic when you are a tenant and you have to pull it out for a refurbishment of origin. Admittedly, there are low-tack adhesives, called "fixers", which theoretically allow the carpet to take off easily. As it is a vinyl glue, its residues are easily removed with water with a minimum of scraping. But by definition this kind of glue does not adhere very well, and the residue it leaves after tearing is not as easy to eliminate as it is claimed.
Imperative: a floor in good condition
Whatever the method of installation, the support must be solid, flat and healthy.
A recent concrete floor or cement screed requires little preparation, but old soil requires a minimum of repair: fixing the boards of an old floor, filling the larger slots, planing slats that exceed, laying of wood fiber panels (OSB type) on a degraded tile... The irregularities of an old concrete slab will be recapped and the whole may be patched with a specific liquid mortar. Carpet laying is to be avoided on a ground floor without a crawl space due to the risk of rising damp.
Adhesive tapes for better adhesion
On a regular floor, it is possible to proceed to a "free" pose, on double-sided tape.
For a good adhesion of the strips, it is necessary however that the soil is not dusty or powdery (ground cement or crumbly concrete).
Parquet must be well dusted and possibly degreased (with a substitute of THC) in the future location of the adhesive strips.
Foam backed carpets are best suited for this type of installation, which is the dominant market.
- Apply the double-sided adhesive tape around the room periphery, after having dusted the soil and defatted it with a trichlorethylene substitute.
- Keep the upper protection strip.
Cut-outs and laying of the first
- Unroll the carpet on the floor by raising it on the baseboards, about ten centimeters.
- With a large cutter equipped with a straight blade, cut the carpet at the level of the door frame (dormant).
- Be careful not to cut beyond the base of the plinth!
- With tailor's scissors, cut the carpet flush with the base of the door frame.
- Progress without rushing.
- Mark the fold of the carpet at the base of the plinth with the handle of the cutter, blade retracted, or with the tip of the tailor's scissors.
- Cut the carpet flush with the plinth with a carpet cutter equipped with a crooked blade.
- When the cutter comes into abutment against the corner of the wall, turn the carpet over and cut the strip perpendicular to the plinth.
- Turn the corner of the carpet and mark on the back of the carpet a line in line with the cutting line of the cutter. With the tailor's scissors, cut the carpet following this pattern.
- Take the cut with the cutter on the other wall, after folding the carpet in the corner.
- Push the carpet firmly against the baseboard and lift it up to remove the top tape from the adhesive.
Cutting and laying edge-to-edge
- Determine the junction line of the carpet tiles.
- Draw it with a carpenter's pencil on the floor using a long ruler to guide it.
- Glue a strip of double-sided tape over the line just drawn after dusting the soil.
- Make sure the two edges are joined edge to edge, gradually removing the upper protective strip from the adhesive.
- If the edges of the strips are not cut perfectly straight, overlap them and cut with the cutter at one time, guided by a metal ruler.
- Finally, smooth the joint by hand or with the wheel caster by completing pulling the upper protection of the adhesive tape.
Supplies for laying a carpet without glue
• Double sided adhesive tape
• Trichlorethylene substitute (for cleaning and degreasing)
1. Acidulous tones.
A 100% polyamide carpet on double back. Impact noise reduction of 25 dB. Antistatic, UV resistant and compatible with underfloor heating. In 24 shades sweet and tart. It is 4 and 5 m wide. 35 € / m2.
2. Silky appearance.
Composed of a textile backing with polypropylene underlay, this cut velvet tufted carpet is compatible with a heated floor. In 18 vivid or pastel shades. Roll 4 or 5 m wide (9 mm thick). € 45 / m2.
"Satine", Lano Carpets.
3. High resistance.
Cut tufted velvet carpet with woven textile back. Made of polyamide, it is intended for high traffic rooms. Proposed in 10 solid colors. Roll 4 m wide (11.5 mm thick). € 37.70 / m2.
Silky Contract, Ege Carpets.
Curly velvet, 100% polyamide on complex stabilized PVC, it is suitable for all parts of the house. In 14 shades. Removable lead tile of 50 x 50 cm. Starting at 22 € / m2.
"Tecsom 3550 Linear Version", Tecsom.
5. Repositionable reasons.
Its cross-shaped slabs can be placed side by side to create a personalized design and ambiance. Non-slip backing. It is repositionable at will. In 16 shades united or mottled. € 53 / m2.
"Home Island Spirit", Vorwerk.
Shopping vinyl, parquet, marmoleum, sisal...
1. Flooring aspect.
Presented as a blade, this coating imitates wood to the touch. It is installed on all prepared surfaces, even in damp rooms. Blade of L. 91.4 x l. 15.2 cm (2 mm thick). € 13.90 / m2.
"Adhesive Vinyl Blade", Colors at Castorama.
This woven product, composed of vinyl and polyester from recycled plastic materials is available in many colors and patterns. It is UV resistant and anti-slip. In roll (1. 2 x L. 25 m) and slab of 50 x 50 cm 78 € / m2.
3. 100 ideas.
Aspects wood, metal, concrete, pebbles, checkerboard, fl owers... More than 100 sets allow to adapt this vinyl covering to all the styles of interior. Made up of 58% of recyclable natural materials. Lea of 30 x 2 to 3 m (2.6 mm thick). € 9.90 / m2.
"Design 260-Wood Concept", Tarkett.
4. Flexible when walking.
With a very dense back and a wear layer of 0.25 mm, it is recommended in rooms with frequent passage. It offers a sound insulation of 16 dB. In 5 shades of gray. Roll of 4 m wide. € 9.50 / m2.
"Déclic", Artens at Leroy Merlin.
Composed of mineral and vinyl materials, these self-adhesive tiles imitate the tiling in 6 marbled shades. In square or rectangular format. 32.90 / m2.
"Distinctive Character", Gerflor.
6. White massif.
In oiled oak, the blades have chamfers on all four sides and are assembled by grooves and tongues. Glued application. Compatible with underfloor heating. Dim.: l. 13 x L. 40 to 150 cm (14 mm thick). € 83.50 / m2.
"Sesame", Design Parquet.
7. Cork facing.
These blades are composed of a facing and a cork underlay. Anti-UV surface treatment. Floating installation by simply clipping (without glue). In 8 decorations wood look, brushed finish. Dim.: l. 19 x L. 129 cm (10 mm thick). € 30 / m2.
8. Classic seagrass.
Chevron weave and latex underlay for this 100% seagrass coating, scissors cut for glued application. Natural color (ecru). Range of 6 other weavings. Lé de l. 4 x L. 30 m. € 13 / m2.
"Seagrass Decor", BTB.
9. Cozy sisal.
Soft to the touch and of satin aspect, this antistatic coating in woven sisal with big loop (resulting from the agave) includes a back in latex. Pose glued in full. In 9 shades. Roll of l. 4 x L. 30 m 20.90 € / m2.
10. Lino green.
Linoleum made from natural materials (linseed oil, wood flour, mineral fillers...). Its facing is placed on a HDF panel with cork underlay. 21 colors. Blade or slab (9.8 mm thick). Starting from 39,80 € / m2.
Marmoleum Click, Forbo.