- The frame stick
- The chopsticks cut
- Realization of the wooden frame
- Fixing the frame to frame in the rabbet of the frame
Not everyone has enough talent to decorate their home with their own works, but any good handyman can make frames that will enhance or receive reproductions on canvas. The quality of a frame depends on the precision of the chop sawing.
The framing technique depends on the object to be presented, its fragility and its constitution.
A painting on canvas must often be stretched, because the floating of its surface would be very amplified by the frame. She is never placed under glass. A pastel or watercolor must be protected by a glass, but leaving a space so that the condensation does not stick to them.
A miniature is better highlighted with a large margin, or a "passe-partout" if it is framed in coasters.
Each type of frame or coaster uses its own techniques, but none are beyond the reach of the rigorous and careful amateur.
The frame stick
The frame stick should be in harmony with the style of what it frames.
- A Louis XVI style wand emphasizes the cachet of an old engraving.
- A varnished wood gives charm and refined elegance to a print or a watercolor.
- A painted wooden frame, or even brushed aluminum, highlights a blood, a dry point etching, an etching.
The general style can not contradict that of the wall where the frame is hung, and more generally of the room and its furnishings.
A wall covered with a paper decor will easily accommodate an old-fashioned frame, while a simply painted wall, or stretched plain fabric, prefer a frame stripped bare.
Modern furniture blends well with frameless coasters or with brushed aluminum or pastel wood frames.
The dimensions of the object to be framed must be read to the nearest millimeter, its squareness verified and, if necessary, rectified.
- The length of the molding corresponds to the perimeter to be framed, increased by 5 to 10 mm, to take into account a margin corresponding to the assembly tolerance and the thickness of the sawdust.
- For the glass of a coaster, subtract 2 mm from the dimensions of the frame, taken at the bottom of rebate (to take into account the expansion).
The chopsticks cut
It requires a lot of care, in order to obtain an assembly without play and perfectly squared.
- Use a saw with very fine teeth, in the absence of a real framer's saw, perfectly worn.
- Hold the bag securely in the miter box, flattened at the bottom and along the edge in front of you.
- saw with a steady movement, without pressing, and finish smoothly on reaching the bottom of the miter box, so as not to burst the wood.
- Deburring the cutif necessary, with fine sandpaper (grade 200), passed to the sanding block.
Realization of the wooden frame
1. Cut the wand using a miter box and a fine-rimmed saw. After pasting the miter cuts, put the frame in press using a strap press.
2. If you do not have a strap press, you can make this assembly, with a string or a wire tightened by means of a tourniquet, by putting it on big stoppers distributed around the frame so that it is not damaged.
3. When the glue is dry, reinforce the gluing by pushing human head tips on the upper and lower faces.
Fixing the frame to frame in the rabbet of the frame
- Simple method: secure the frame with man's head points nailed obliquely in the rabbet of the frame.
- Practical method: "spinners", screwed on the back of the frame, hold the chassis by a lyre spring.
- Thick cardboard corners stapled to the back of the frame, or nailed plywood corners, add rigidity to the assembly.
(photos / visuals: © DIY-Prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Putting under glass: the passe-partout
- Make a key cabinet
- Make yourself candles
- Manufacture of a glass holder
- Felt box in Nordic style
- Scrapbooking on wood: a painter's palette
- How to create a mosaic on board?
This may interest you