- Change a grinding disc
- Cutting and cutting with discs
- Stripping of metal and wood at the grinder
The angle grinder is a more versatile machine than it seems, depending on the disc used. The primary purpose - grinding at a varied angle - is also stripping but also cutting with a dedicated disc. Depending on the nature and the grain of it, it can be used to work a large number of materials: metal, masonry materials, wood, plastic, etc. It requires special precautions, including the wearing of gloves and full protective glasses, a dust mask. It must be handled very carefully with specific gestures, to avoid any risk of accident.
By definition, an angle grinder first serves to grind, with a disc of good thickness, abrasive surface, grain adapted to the nature of the material to work. To this functionality is added the ability to cut, cut and cut, this time with a thin disc, whose edge is coated with abrasive material or teeth in connection with the material to be cut. It is essential not to confuse the discs to use, especially never to cut with a grinding disc: the risk of bursting it and debris projection are very important, with a high probability of serious injury. Those who have never used this type of machine can not be too cautious.
Change a grinding disc
1. Turn off the device before handling. Here, just drop the battery. If the machine is wired, unplug the machine.
2. The handle of the grinder is interchangeable. It can be placed above or on the sides of the device for a better grip depending on the work to be done.
3. Remove the crampon key from its housing. It will allow you to tighten or loosen the disc.
4. Unscrew the handle to disassemble the disc more easily.
5. Press the lock button on the shaft and rotate the drive until it stops.
6. Hold down the lock button. Engage the crampon key and loosen the outer flange.
7. Unscrew the outer flange by hand. Remove the grinding disc.
8. Unscrew and remove the inner flange. He simply loosens his finger.
9. Undo the protective case fastener. Rotate the protective cover according to the work to be done.
10. Fold down the clip to lock the cover.
11. Check that the direction of rotation of the disc and the machine match.
12. The arrows on the machine and on the disk indicate the direction of rotation.
13. Reposition the inner flange. Screw it on your finger.
14. Set up the selected disc (here a multipurpose disc). Engage it on its axis.
15. Begin screwing the outer flange by hand.
16. Press the lock button. Rotate the disc until it stops.
17. Secure the outer flange with the spanned wrench.
18. Screw the handle into the desired position.
19. Engage the battery and orient it to make it easier to grip the camera.
20. Press the release button and then the trigger to start the machine and check the operation of the grinder.
Always wear protective gloves, wear a respirator and put on protective eyewear.
Cutting and cutting with discs
at. Versatile diamond disc for brick and ceramic
1. Start the brick on the cutting line with the diamond disc.
2. Cut the brick with a mason's chisel.
3. Some discs allow cutting and grinding. This allows a good finish of the cutting surface.
4. The diamond disc allows tile cutting. Interpose a martyr board between the tiles and the workbench.
5. The cut is perfectly clear.
b. Disc adapted to concrete and stone
1. To cut a concrete block attack the line of cut at the level of a cell.
2. Start the paving stone halfway through its thickness.
3. Place it cantilevered on a metal bar.
4. Press down on both sides of the cut line.
c. Cutting disc for metal
1. The disc is used to cut a hollow steel bar. Be careful not to leave any flammable product or object in the sparks.
Stripping of metal and wood at the grinder
at. Metal etching disc and rust
1. Slowly advance the disc onto the surface to be stripped (here a cast iron cover).
2. Progress the disc until the metal is completely exposed.
b. Disk stripping wood and paint
1. The grinder allows rapid pickling of varnished wood...
2.... or multiple layers of paint in one operation.
3. Progress slowly without giving any angle to the board to avoid marking the wood.
c. Metal finishing disc
The grinder allows the abrasion of surplus solder or solder.
The angle grinder is a potentially dangerous machine if it is misused:
- Never use grinding discs for cutting materials (unless specified by the manufacturer).
- Always wear safety equipment (gloves, mask and glasses).
- Always switch off the machine when handling it (changing a disc, changing the crankcase position).
- Only use discs that are suitable for the materials to be worked.
- Never use discs that are too worn.
(photos / visuals: © DIY-Prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Metal cutting and grinding
- How to cut metal with shears and disc?
This may interest you