- Storage: to each room its function
- Closets: a thoughtful layout
- The opinion of a dressing room expert *
- Custom or kit storage
- Take advantage of the least space to store
- Arrange the angles of your home
- Arrange the cupboards
- Think about lighting in your closet
- Clever accessories for the dressing room
- Room-by-room design ideas: tidy the entrance
- Store in the hallway and the stairs
- What closets in the room
- Compartmentalize the living-dining room with storage space
- Optimize the laundry area
- Cupboards in the attic
- DIY: a real dressing space saving!
- Chic my closet on the internet
- Design your storage in a few clicks
- Organize your storage: the book
To arrange its cupboards, it is to optimize the storage spaces. What to start with? What are the proposed solutions? Zoom on tips for smart storage!
Crumpled dresses, crumpled shirts, compressed sweaters, shoes piled up, when business accumulates and objects become untraceable, the report is without appeal: we must review its facilities!
Before embarking on the reorganization of your storage, it is advisable, first, to identify your real needs and of consider his habits. This essential step consists of sort through your business. Must also take inventory clothing, objects, accessories and categorize (coats, dresses, pants, shirts, T-shirts...).
These first two steps help to get a better idea of the storage space required, to determine what we want to ask about shelves, hang on a rod or place in drawers and to translate in linear meters its needs to make a success of new developments.
Storage: to each room its function
Thinking of the storage space also makes it possible to identify the missing cupboards.
Review all: if the entrance has no storage, maybe it's time to install a cupboard to relieve the cabinets of coats, scarves, hats, shoes... These can even find their place in a suitable closet, placed in the garage if this access is the one borrowed to enter home.
Determine the functions of each room of their home because it is they who indicate the place of objects. If there is not enough space, then all the little nooks to invest.
Closets: a thoughtful layout
To create closets or dedicated rooms (dressing), it is essential to store its effects according to several levels of use:
- Below 40 cm, the visibility is bad. Place heavy items (storage of objects) or provide drawers or sliding shelves.
- Between 40 and 70 cm, dedicate the space to the drawers for the linen used punctually (linen, towels, etc.).
- From 70 to 140 cmit's the most accessible part. It is therefore reserved for frequently used clothing and equipment.
- Between 140 and 180 cm, is the ideal area for hanging clothes.
- From 180 cm and up to 220 cmvisibility becomes bad again. This is the appropriate place for storing light items.
- Beyond From this height, this space must be kept for storing clothing or seasonal equipment or for archiving or luggage.
To define the storage space needed for clothes, determine the linear footage you need. Add to that about 25% more space for future purchases:
- For example, a length of one meter on a height of 160 to 170 cm suspends six coats, twenty pants or twelve dresses.
- 110 cm high Conveniently accommodate seven to ten shirts, three to four jackets or twenty skirts.
- While long garments allow only one wardrobe over the entire height, the shorter garments offer the advantage of being able to install two wardrobes one below the other doubling the length of storage.
- On the same length of a meterit is also possible to accommodate four to five pairs of shoes that will find their place on the ground.
- As for clothes to be folded (shirts, sweatshirts, pullovers), they require shelves 30 to 40 cm wide. A height of 50 cm Fourteen shirts or ten sweatshirts.
- Do not hesitate to compartmentalize drawers, in order to optimize the space as much as possible. Boxes of 8 x 9 cm are suitable for socks, those of 12 x 15 cm for underwear, for example.
The opinion of a dressing room expert *
To arrange its closet is to provide a stable and easy to mount that fits perfectly to the room. We must first choose the structure according to the space allocated, then equip it gradually. Modular, it limits the costs. We can then replace the drawers by shelves or tilting wardrobe by a fixed rod, without losing storage volume.
* Jean-Luc Guéry, President of Optimum-Sifisa (manufacturer of storage furniture).
Custom or kit storage
There are several possibilities for arranging the interior of the cupboards.
One is to make shelves using cleats and planks. If this solution is economical, it is nonetheless final.
There are also kits and rack systems in specialized distribution networks (Archea, Kazed, Sifisa, Elfa, Lapeyre, Ikea...) as well as DIY superstores.
The kit dressings are usually composed of prefabricated self-assembled boxes, shelves, one or two rods and drawers for some. They are available in several sizes and configurations to install directly at the bottom of a closet.
However, apart from their adjustable shelves, the vast majority of kits are not adjustable unless, like any self-respecting handyman, you add additional rods and accessories.
The rack system is evolving. It allows to design the layout of its space to the centimeter. The racks are installed on the wall and brackets are attached to it supporting shelves, rods and other accessories. There are also freestanding versions of the system that dispense drilling.
Take advantage of the least space to store
In order to lighten the bill, the best way of planning (in the context of a creation) is to build a cupboard with the standard dimensions of the doors proposed in the GSB and the specialized signs. The classic height is usually 250 cm with several widths: 120, 170, 180 or 200 cm...
If you have an additional room that can be converted that does not have a clearly defined function, it can be useful for a dressing room. To dress, the surface must be 4 m2 minimum.
An L-shaped configuration is possible when the surface is rectangular and the width of the room is at least 140 cm. Indeed, it takes 50 to 60 cm deep wardrobe and 90 cm clearance.
The square pieces are perfect for a U-shaped dressing room.
If all rooms are occupied, fit a closet in a recess and if you only have a wall, opt for the installation of a cabinet ensuring that it is the highest possible to store a maximum things.
Arrange the angles of your home
Another solution for optimizing space is the 90° corner cupboard.
It exploits the corners as much as possible. Closed by doors, it meets all needs: dressing room, office or kitchen area. Less imposing than a rectangular piece of furniture, in a dressing room version, it is arranged in the same way - shelves, rods - and also accommodates all types of accessories. In addition, its depth (90 cm) allows multiple storage combinations.
An angular dressing closely matches the corners with a minimum footprint. It offers beautiful storage space.
Arrange the cupboards
This wall-mounted storage solution is easily installed in every corner of the house and transforms closets into a mini-dressing room, mini-laundry room, etc.
Think about lighting in your closet
To arrange well its cupboards, it is as well enlightening them.
Indeed, lighting makes it easy to find your belongings, but also to better discern the different colors of your clothes. It is then easier to coordinate his clothes.
In terms of lighting, there are different wired solutions. Arrange lighting on and / or in the furniture (spotlights, light strips, strips...) or install on the ceiling a row of low-voltage halogen lamps fixed on cables.
To embed spots in a false ceiling, equip with adjustable models. Of all the lighting systems available, the most energy-efficient remains LED technology. In ribbon or in the form of mini-lamps to screw, to stick or to pose, they settle in every nook and cranny.
Clever accessories for the dressing room
Manufacturers compete for ingenuity when it comes to optimizing closet layout.
Even if they increase the cost of the layout, we must not ignore the accessories that ingeniously exploit volumes. There are today all kinds of special retractable shelf for pants, shoes, etc., belts / ties / scarves / scarves, foldable hanger racks, sliding basket to view the stored effects (unlike the closed drawer), retractable rod equipped with a maneuvering bar...
Not to mention the compartments compartments to hang or integrate in a drawer, boxes, covers, etc.
The accessories optimize the storage space, as here, where the ties are neatly stored and the belts on hand.
Whether wall-mounted or floor-standing, modular walk-in closets adapt to multiple cabinet sizes or room layouts.
According to habits and constraints, the accessories bring solutions relevant to each problem.
Room-by-room design ideas: tidy the entrance
Real small dressing, the closet of the entrance spares the view of the coat rack wearing a pile of clothes surrounded by shoes. It allows the coats, headgear and shoes to be carefully stored on a suitable shelf. This all-in-one can be set up with storage pockets and mirrors on the doors.
Store in the hallway and the stairs
The corridor can become storage space or library. However, care must be taken to maintain a circulation space of at least 90 cm to allow the crossing of two people and the possible transport of small furniture. The area under the stairs offers a nice space. It allows the installation of a closet to store coats or home appliances and cleaning products, or even a corner office.
The volume under a staircase offers unsuspected storage space! And a good opportunity to make a custom layout.
What closets in the room
Depending on the surface, it is possible to install a large closet against a wall or two closets on two different walls.
If the place is missing, there are solutions of bridge rooms: set composed of a bed and storage arranged on each side and above the head of the bed.
For a child's room, it is better to opt for open storage. The toys are thus easier to store and the absence of doors avoids the risk of pinching fingers.
Compartmentalize the living-dining room with storage space
If you have a very long living room, you can divide the space in half. Place in the center of the room a cupboard with a depth of 60 cm or two cupboards back to back 35 cm deep to delimit new spaces: living-dining room or living room with adjoining office.
Optimize the laundry area
This room in the house has to be very functional.
The rack system is here ideal for this space that must be equipped with shelves, laundry baskets, a clothes dryer or wall mounted, an ironing board...
A mini-laundry can be accommodated in the existing hallway closet if dimensions permit and if water supply and sewage disposal are possible.
The rack-and-pinion system offers many possibilities of development. It evolves according to the needs of the family.
Cupboards in the attic
The attic offers the opportunity to install many closets under the crawling. Manufacturers offer a wide range of shelves and sliding door furniture suitable for the roof slope.
Attic design solutions, these kits are suitable for a 45° slope angle (as here). Quick to install, this combination creates a storage space, in a hitherto untapped area.
DIY: a real dressing space saving!
Create a real dressing room of 2.5 m2 for less than 450 euros in a rectangular room of 12 m², it is possible!
- 5 boxes (295 €)
- 2 sliding doors (50 €)
- 2 medium panels (MDF)
- inside, L. 250 x l. 122 cm x thick 18 mm (26 €)
- 1 set of sliding rail (36 €)
- 1 kit of 3 spots on cables (16 €)
- 1 cupboard switch (15 €)
- 1 kg of fatty coating (8 €)
- In an available corner, place two boxes 1 meter wide face to face at 50 cm distance.
- In their extension, join two other boxes of 50 cm (all boxes are 60 cm deep).
- Arrange a fifth box 35 cm deep to form a U.
- Cloisonne the dressing, using cleats and panels of medium.
- Install the sliding rail system over the opening and, after screwing the wheels onto the top of the doors, hang them on the sliding rail and secure the guides to the floor.
- Finally, pass a layer of hanging on the sides of the boxes and paint all of the same color as the walls of the room.
Then simply adjust the dressing as he wishes.
If you install a double wardrobe in each one meter wide boxes, you gain 4 m wardrobe. The other boxes allow the installation of shelves, drawers, baskets, etc.
Essential storage accessory: the fold-away trousers / slings.
Choose a telescopic rod for its closet
Inter-door contactor: to illuminate large closets.
Chic my closet on the internet
Put online by the National Union of French Furnishings Industries (UNIFA), the chicmonplacard.com website is a collective initiative that brings together four French closet manufacturers (Coulidoor, Kazed, Optimum, Sogal). This initiative is designed to introduce individuals to practical solutions for room-by-room design.
Design your storage in a few clicks
The site kazed.fr, the eponymous manufacturer, allows you to create your closets in 3D via a simple configurator to download.
All you have to do is choose your fittings, the closet doors, but also the separating doors. By grasping the surface of the room, we arrange its space in three dimensions.
With a simple click / drag, we visualize his closet or dressing in all its seams.
The configurator continuously displays the total amount of its installation that can be printed or saved in the configurator by creating an account.
Organize your storage: the book
You need more space? Your interior does not seem optimal? It can become so, at a lower cost. Just put away otherwise. Organized and easy to access cupboards! This book helps you to revisit your interior with new and critical eye. It offers many tips and illustrations, sources of inspiration.
"Arrange your storage", Cyrille Frémont, Éditions Fleurus, € 14.90. fleuruseditions.com