The Content Of The Article:

Water seepage is the first sign of humidity in a home. As soon as you notice the damage, it is essential to call on a professional to clearly identify the problem in order to put in place a suitable solution and stop the phenomenon.

Locate a water infiltration in a house

Infiltration is usually caused by rainwater intruding into the walls of the house or at the roof level. As time goes on, the water ends up impregnating the interior walls, which can then cause serious damage. Thus, the water "attacks" first outside the walls and penetrates progressively inwards. Moisture caused by infiltration is particularly alarming when it touches the buried or semi-buried areas of the building, such as the cellar or the basement.

Different symptoms can then manifest themselves: mold, rotting wood, bacteria growth, bad smells, saltpetre, etc. Once the problem of water infiltration is established, it is essential to use the services of a professional specialist to establish a complete diagnosis. The mission of the expert is to identify precisely the causes of the problem and to propose treatments adapted to the situation.

Causes of infiltration

There are also other factors promoting and accelerating this phenomenon. These can include cracks in the walls, leaking pipes, clogged gutters, aging joints, sealing problems (at the roof, walls or carpentry) or laying too porous building materials that are permeable. It is also possible that the ground level is not the same on the inside and the outside (higher on the outside).

Whatever the cause of the infiltration of water into a house, this phenomenon harms both the building itself and the health of the inhabitants (unhealthy ambient air).

Which treatment is advised?

Work must be undertaken according to the professional's report. In the case where the roof is involved, a professional roofer must intervene to check the tightness of the roof and undertake the necessary work.

In general, it is an infiltration that affects the walls and is manifested by cracks in the walls. The treatment differs according to the extent of the latter.

For a micro crack which is less than 0.2 millimeters, a waterproof coating is put in place. For a average crack up to 2 millimeters it is necessary to apply sealant and waterproof coating. Yes the crack is large and exceeds 2 millimeters in width, provision should be made for masonry work. If it is found that the building material is too porous, it is advisable to carry out a water-repellent treatment and apply an impermeable coating.

Video Instruction: Cardinal Resources: Protecting the house from water infiltration and mold