Renovation of the roof involves important work. Why do you have to redo your roof? When to start work?
Why redo a roof?
The reasons for remaking a roof are many and depend specifically on your situation.
It may be necessary to remake your roof when it has suffered significant damage, or that recurring concerns can not be solved by a simple repair.
You can also choose to redo your roof to improve your quality of life, especially by using more environmentally friendly materials and by putting in place better thermal insulation. Renovate your roof is also the opportunity to completely change its visual appearance and to give another look at your house (in accordance with local standards in force). It also increases its market value.
In any case, before you start, the renovation must be carefully studied according to your project, your budget and the specificities of your roof.
When to redo a roof?
It is important to control your roof at least once a year, and after every major episode of bad weather. Ask for a roofer's visit regularly according to the age of your roof:
- Every 10 years for a roof of ten years or less,
- Every 2 years for a roof dating back 20 years,
- Every year for a roof dating back 40 years.
These precautions will allow you to keep a roof in good condition for as long as possible, and immediately spot the warning signs of a problem in your roof. Among the signs to pay attention to, consider:
- Check that there is no missing tile or slate on your roof,
- Make sure there are no seepage or water leaks
- Also watch out for any froth or lichen
- Also make sure the slate hooks are not oxidized, the tiles are not wavy or your zinc cover is not rough. These are the signs that a change is needed.
Before proceeding to the repair of the roof, a specialist must examine the frame in order to propose to you the most appropriate solutions.