- The most used wood species for parquet
- The elements to assemble to make a parquet
- Different styles of parquet flooring
Whether it is the floor of a house or only its flooring, the wooden floor is both strong, durable and very decorative. It is defined according to its essence, the shape of the elements that compose it, their style and the assembly technique. It is a hot material, on which it is pleasant to walk. It requires regular maintenance, even if it is varnished (vitrification).
The most used wood species for parquet
For a very long time, the parquet floors were mainly Oak in "noble" and "bourgeois" residences and in resinous in the popular houses.
The range of species has greatly expanded:
- the Oak because of its longevity and good resistance to punching;
- the chestnutwaterproof, durable, flexible and insensitive to pests;
- the ash, flexible, very hard, which takes a very decorative polish;
- the beech, very resistant to shocks and giving a very fine polished grain;
- themaple, both robust and decorative;
- the bircheconomical and flexible, giving a very elegant pearlescent appearance;
- the Oregon pinerelatively economic, slightly gnarled and quite decorative;
- the northern pinethe most economical but the least durable;
- exotic woods, such as merbau, extremely hard, theiroko, the teak, the jatobaetc.
The bamboo occupies a special place, since it is not a "wood" in the strict sense of the term. Particularly resistant to punching and abrasion, it also has the advantage of being water resistant, which makes it particularly suitable for wet rooms.
2,7 à 4,5
3,9 à 4,5
Very soft wood <1,5
Softwood between 1.5 and <3
Hardwood between 3 and <6
Hardwood between 6 and <9
Very hard wood> 9
The elements to assemble to make a parquet
Basically, the floor consists of slats more or less wide and more or less thick. In reality, it takes much more diverse forms:
- of the massive blades, with groove and tongue, 50 to 200 mm wide, and 14 to 22 mm thick (23 mm for pine);
- of the laminated blades, for floating floors, consisting of a facing sheet glued to a "soul" whose other side is lined with a sheet of unrolled wood (counter-balancing);
- of the laminated sheets consist of small glued slats under pressure, which have a high dimensional stability and are delivered in long lengths;
- of the slabssmall slats glued on a plastic net.
Different styles of parquet flooring
If the simple parquet consists only of juxtaposed blades, many assemblies are possible to match the style of buildings and that of the interior decoration of homes.
(photos / visuals: © DIY-Prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- Questions answers
- Laying of parquet on heated floor in 5 questions
- How to restore a floor covered with a tile?
- How to choose and install a floating floor?
- Remove an old lino and renovate the floor
- DIY tips
- Flooring: how to fix parquet
- Lay a glued solid parquet
- Successful renovation of a parquet floor
- Glued laying of mosaic parquet on net
This may interest you